Spherical shells (inner conducting and outer nonconducting)

In summary, the conversation discussed the integration of electrostatic potential in regards to a given constant R. It was concluded that for a non-conducting material, the potential at the outer surface is 0 V and for a conducting material, the potential is constant throughout. In part a), the integration was done from a to 2a, while in part b), integrating from 0 to 2a would yield the same result. However, there is an easier method to solve part b) by considering the constant potential throughout the conductor.
goohu
Homework Statement
See picture
Relevant Equations
V = ## -\int E dl ##
a) I think you find V by just integrating E in regards to R. Then we integrate from the point of interest, which is a, to the 0 potential which is (R = 2a)?

b) If the same logic as a) applies here as well then we should integrate from the point of interest to the 0 potential. This should be from 0 to 2a.

Attachments

• Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 120
Physics news on Phys.org
goohu said:
I think you find V by just integrating E in regards to R
Yes, except that R is a given constant, so better to say wrt some new variable, r say.
goohu said:
b) If the same logic as a) applies here as well then we should integrate from the point of interest to the 0 potential.
Yes, except that there is an easier way. Hint: it's a conductor.

Likes goohu
R is a constant? Can you explain why? E(R) seems to be a function depending on R, for me it seems like its a variable? I don't understand. What do you mean with wrt?

For b) if its a conductor you could use Gauss law I guess. C = Q/V

I'm mostly familiar with using it to determine the capacitance between two conducting plates. Usually you find E(R) then you integrate to find V and integrate from 0 to d , if d is the distance between the plates.

In this case it's from one conducting shell to origin. I'm unsure about the integration limits.
Is it from 0 to a, or a to 0?

goohu said:
R is a constant?
Sorry, dealing with too many threads at once.

For b, what do you know about the potential within a conductor?

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply.

b)
The electric field inside a conductor (in this case 0 to a) is 0. So V should be a constant. Not sure if we need to go further than this?

I am unsure because of the wording in the task : "using the same assumptions as those of part (a)."
The assumption being "the electrostatic potential on the outer surface of the non-conducting material is 0 V." The stated assumption shouldn't affect the problem?

goohu said:
b)
The electric field inside a conductor (in this case 0 to a) is 0. So## V## should be a constant. Not sure if we need to go further than this?
Yes, ##V## is constant throughout the conductor. You need to express V at the center of the conductor in terms of ##\varepsilon_0, a## and ##\rho##.

I am unsure because of the wording in the task : "using the same assumptions as those of part (a)."
The assumption being "the electrostatic potential on the outer surface of the non-conducting material is 0 V." The stated assumption shouldn't affect the problem?
The choice of where ##V = 0## does affect the answer to part (b). For part (b) you want to still take ##V=0## at the outer surface of the non-conductor.

There is the equation for V. I assume both shells has the same charge density (a bit unclear to me).

## V = \int \frac{\rho_v}{4\pi\epsilon_0R} dV = \int \frac{\rho_v}{4\pi\epsilon_0R} R^2 sin\theta dRd\phi d\theta = \frac{\rho_v}{\epsilon_0} \int R dR = \frac{\rho_v a^2}{2\epsilon_0} ## (integrating from 0 to a)

I am unsure where to go from here?

goohu said:
a) I think you find V by just integrating E in regards to R. Then we integrate from the point of interest, which is a, to the 0 potential which is (R = 2a)?
Yes. What do you get for an answer?

b) If the same logic as a) applies here as well then we should integrate from the point of interest to the 0 potential. This should be from 0 to 2a.
As @haruspex stated, you could do this but there is an easier way. As you stated in post #5, you know that V is constant throughout the conductor. So, how does the potential at the center of the conductor compare to the potential at the surface of the conductor?

a) we are integrating from a to 2a.
## V = -\int E dl = -\int \frac{R^3 \rho}{3\epsilon_0 R^2} + \int \frac{a^3 \rho}{3\epsilon_0 R^2} = - \frac {\rho}{3 \epsilon_0} \int R dR + \frac{a^3 \rho}{3 \epsilon_0} \int \frac{1}{R^2} dR = -\frac{\rho a^2}{2\epsilon_0} + \frac{a^2 \rho}{6\epsilon_o} ##

b) Let's assume we integrate from 0 to 2a. Shouldnt the answer be the same as a) if the electric field is 0 inside the conductor? This already seems easy enough to me.

But to answer your question, I think it should be the same?

goohu said:
a) we are integrating from a to 2a.
## V = -\int E dl = -\int \frac{R^3 \rho}{3\epsilon_0 R^2} + \int \frac{a^3 \rho}{3\epsilon_0 R^2} = - \frac {\rho}{3 \epsilon_0} \int R dR + \frac{a^3 \rho}{3 \epsilon_0} \int \frac{1}{R^2} dR = -\frac{\rho a^2}{2\epsilon_0} + \frac{a^2 \rho}{6\epsilon_o} ##

b) Let's assume we integrate from 0 to 2a. Shouldnt the answer be the same as a) if the electric field is 0 inside the conductor? This already seems easy enough to me.

But to answer your question, I think it should be the same?
For part (a) what limits of integration did you use?

Part (b) is really that easy. :smile:

for a) integration limits were a to 2a.

goohu said:
for a) integration limits were a to 2a.
Getting the signs correct can be tricky. Recall that the basic relation is

##V(B) - V(A) = -\int_A^B \mathbf E \cdot d\mathbf l##

If you integrate from ##a## to ##2a##, what does the left-hand side of the above relation become? In particular, which of ##V(A)## and ##V(B)## would be zero and which would be the potential at the point that you are interested in?

1. What is the purpose of a spherical shell with an inner conducting and outer nonconducting layer?

A spherical shell with an inner conducting and outer nonconducting layer is used as a capacitor in electrical circuits. The conducting layer allows for the storage of electric charge, while the nonconducting layer prevents the charge from escaping.

2. How does the charge distribute on a spherical shell with an inner conducting and outer nonconducting layer?

The charge on a spherical shell with an inner conducting and outer nonconducting layer is distributed uniformly on the outer surface of the inner conducting layer. This is due to the principle of electrostatic equilibrium, which states that the electric field inside a conductor is zero.

3. What happens to the electric field inside a spherical shell with an inner conducting and outer nonconducting layer?

The electric field inside a spherical shell with an inner conducting and outer nonconducting layer is zero. This is because the electric field lines from the inner conducting layer cancel out the electric field lines from the outer nonconducting layer, resulting in a net electric field of zero inside the shell.

4. How does the capacitance of a spherical shell with an inner conducting and outer nonconducting layer compare to a solid conducting sphere?

The capacitance of a spherical shell with an inner conducting and outer nonconducting layer is greater than that of a solid conducting sphere with the same radius. This is because the electric field lines are confined to the space between the inner and outer layers, resulting in a higher capacitance.

5. Can a spherical shell with an inner conducting and outer nonconducting layer hold an infinite amount of charge?

No, a spherical shell with an inner conducting and outer nonconducting layer has a finite capacitance and therefore cannot hold an infinite amount of charge. As the charge on the shell increases, the voltage also increases, eventually reaching the breakdown voltage of the insulating layer and causing the shell to discharge.