SPICE simulation of leakage current

In summary, the conversation involved someone trying to simulate leakage current using a reverse bias diode or a dirty PCB, but getting strange results when using a current source across the load. They asked for ideas and mentioned being new to SPICE and using 5Spice Analysis. Another person suggested using the built-in reverse saturation/leakage current of the diode model and asked for more information and a screenshot of the SPICE schematic. The original poster then realized they were using "ideal" components and encountered simulation problems, and thanked the other person for their response. They also mentioned trying to estimate errors with different protection diodes in a decade divider for a DPM used in an insulation tester.
Zapitgood
Trying to simulate leakage current, say from a reverse bias diode or even a dirty PCB. Getting funny results using the current source across the load. Anyone have any ideas. Basic voltage divider fed by CV source and a 1uA forward biased CC source across the VD tap.

By the way, I'm fairly new to SPICE and using 5Spice Analysis

Engineering news on Phys.org
Zapitgood said:
Trying to simulate leakage current, say from a reverse bias diode or even a dirty PCB. Getting funny results using the current source across the load. Anyone have any ideas.

Basic voltage divider fed by CV source and a 1uA forward biased CC source across the VD tap.

By the way, I'm fairly new to SPICE and using 5Spice Analysis

The diode model has the reverse saturation/leakage current built-in, "Is". That isn't working for you?

Could you post your SPICE schematic screenshot, and explain a little more about what you are trying to model?

BTW, you do know that if you "Zapitgood", that the leakage current will likely change, right? LOL.

I think I figured it out, forgot that SPICE inserts a resistor in parallel with current source and in series with voltage source to prevent simulation problems. Of course I was working with "ideal" components as that's all I stock in my lab... I pay extra for those you know.

Thanks for the response berkman, I hope to be called Zapitbest some day... BTW, was trying to estimate what kind of errors I might get with various protection diodes across a decade divider feeding a DPM. This is the current return of a 40KVDC insulation tester.

1. What is SPICE simulation of leakage current?

SPICE (Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis) simulation of leakage current is a computer-aided simulation technique used to analyze the behavior of electrical circuits and systems. It specifically focuses on predicting the amount of current that leaks from a circuit due to imperfections in its components.

2. Why is it important to simulate leakage current?

Simulating leakage current is important for several reasons. It helps engineers identify potential issues and improve the design of a circuit to minimize leakage current. It also allows for accurate estimation of power consumption, which is critical in low power applications. Additionally, it helps in predicting the reliability and lifespan of a circuit.

3. What factors affect the amount of leakage current in a circuit?

The amount of leakage current is influenced by several factors, including the materials and construction of the components, temperature, voltage levels, and the geometry of the circuit layout. Parasitic capacitances and resistances also play a significant role in determining the leakage current.

4. How can I minimize leakage current in my circuit?

There are several ways to minimize leakage current in a circuit. One approach is to use high-quality components with low leakage current specifications. Another method is to optimize the layout and routing of the circuit to reduce parasitic capacitances and resistances. Additionally, applying lower voltages and keeping the temperature within a specified range can also help reduce leakage current.

5. Are there any limitations to SPICE simulation of leakage current?

While SPICE simulation is a powerful tool for predicting leakage current, it is not without limitations. It relies on mathematical models and assumptions, which may not always accurately represent real-world conditions. It is essential to validate the simulation results with actual measurements to ensure accuracy. Additionally, variations in manufacturing processes and environmental factors can also affect the accuracy of SPICE simulation results.