Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SPICE simulation of leakage current

1. Mar 23, 2009 #1
    Trying to simulate leakage current, say from a reverse bias diode or even a dirty PCB. Getting funny results using the current source across the load. Anyone have any ideas.

Basic voltage divider fed by CV source and a 1uA forward biased CC source across the VD tap.

By the way, I'm fairly new to SPICE and using 5Spice Analysis

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The diode model has the reverse saturation/leakage current built-in, "Is". That isn't working for you?

Could you post your SPICE schematic screenshot, and explain a little more about what you are trying to model?

BTW, you do know that if you "Zapitgood", that the leakage current will likely change, right? LOL.

4. Mar 24, 2009 #3
    I think I figured it out, forgot that SPICE inserts a resistor in parallel with current source and in series with voltage source to prevent simulation problems. Of course I was working with "ideal" components as that's all I stock in my lab... I pay extra for those you know.

Thanks for the response berkman, I hope to be called Zapitbest some day... BTW, was trying to estimate what kind of errors I might get with various protection diodes across a decade divider feeding a DPM. This is the current return of a 40KVDC insulation tester.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook