Calculate Angular Velocity After Ball-Rod Collision

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of finding the angular velocity of a ball after it collides with a rod and sticks to the end opposite the pivot. The equations of conservation of kinetic energy and conservation of angular momentum were used to solve the problem. The initial attempt used the incorrect value for the rotational inertia of the ball, resulting in an incorrect answer. After realizing the mistake, the correct value was used and the correct answer was obtained.
Nirmal

Homework Statement

To understand the question first see the attachment (picture). The ball hits the rod and then it sticks to the end opposite the pivot. So now what is the angular velocity (ω) just after collision.

Homework Equations

1/2m_1v_1^2 + 1/2 I_1ω_1^2 = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2 Iω^2 (conservation of kinetic energy)
I_1ω_1 = I_2ω_2 (conservation of momentum)
I at centre of mass of rod = ML^2/12 where L is the length of rod
I at edge of rod = ML^2/3 where L is the length of rod

The Attempt at a Solution

By conservation of kinetic energy
1/2 M V^2 + 0 = 1/6 M d^2 ω^2 + 0
SO ω = v*sqrt(3)/(d)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 361
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to ask a question :)

I have a couple for you though:
What leads you to believe that kinetic energy is conserved in this collision?
Did you try checking your result by conservation of angular momentum?

You can't use conservation of kinetic energy, because kinetic energy is not conserved in inelastic collisions. Some energy will be lost in some way (I would assume most of the lost energy goes towards deforming the ball).

Use conservation of angular momentum. (What is the angular momentum of a ball moving in a straight line?)

edit:
Simon beat me by a hair :tongue:

So how would i do that..
angular momentum of a ball moving in a straight line is zero right. SO is the answer of w = o . Is that right. Or if i am wrong please help me.

Ok is the answer w = 12v/(7d^2) or is it 3v/d^2

Nirmal said:
Ok is the answer w = 12v/(7d^2) or is it 3v/d^2

Can you explain a little bit about where your answers come from?

P.S.
Your answers have the wrong units

MV + 0 = 0 + I w

So here I = Md^2 /3
If a ball is sticked to the end of rod then I becomes Md^2 /3 + Md^2/4 = 7Md^2/12
So solving we get w = 12v/(7d^2)

Nirmal said:
MV + 0 = 0 + I w

So here I = Md^2 /3
If a ball is sticked to the end of rod then I becomes Md^2 /3 + Md^2/4 = 7Md^2/12
So solving we get w = 12v/(7d^2)

The angular momentum of the ball before the collision (with respect to the pivot) is not MV (those units are wrong) it is actually MVd (refer to the link in the other post)

Edit: sorry I made a mistake in this post originally. (I was thinking the pivot axis was in the middle)

Nathanael said:
The angular momentum of the ball before the collision (with respect to the pivot) is not MV (those units are wrong) it is actually MVd/2 (refer to the link in the other post)
But the rod is pivoting at end of rod not at the centre of mass.

Nirmal said:
But the rod is pivoting at end of rod not at the centre of mass.

Yes, you are correct (I just realized my mistake and edited my post right before this).

It would actually be Mvd

So will the answer be w=12v/7d

Nathanael said:
Yes, you are correct (I just realized my mistake and edited my post right before this).

It would actually be Mvd

But 12v/7d is not the correct answer.. I checked it and i got wrong. So what can be the answer.

Simon Bridge said:
You have to ask a question :)

I have a couple for you though:
What leads you to believe that kinetic energy is conserved in this collision?
Did you try checking your result by conservation of angular momentum?

Can you help me ..

Nirmal said:
But 12v/7d is not the correct answer..

Why do you say the rotational inertia of the ball is [itex]\frac{md^2}{4}[/itex]?

It should be [itex]md^2[/itex]

Likes 1 person
Nathanael said:
Why do you say the rotational inertia of the ball is [itex]\frac{md^2}{4}[/itex]?

It should be [itex]md^2[/itex]

Yes. That was the mistake. Now i realize. Thank you

1. How do you calculate angular velocity after a ball-rod collision?

To calculate the angular velocity after a ball-rod collision, you will need to know the mass and radius of the ball, the mass and length of the rod, and the initial angular velocity of the ball. You can then use the conservation of angular momentum equation, which states that the initial angular momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the final angular momentum after the collision. By rearranging this equation, you can solve for the final angular velocity of the ball after the collision.

2. What factors affect the angular velocity after a ball-rod collision?

The angular velocity after a ball-rod collision is affected by several factors, including the mass and radius of the ball, the mass and length of the rod, and the initial angular velocity of the ball. Additionally, the angle of impact between the ball and the rod and the coefficient of restitution (a measure of the elasticity of the collision) also play a role in determining the final angular velocity of the ball.

3. Can the final angular velocity after a ball-rod collision be negative?

Yes, the final angular velocity after a ball-rod collision can be negative. This would occur if the initial angular velocity of the ball is in the opposite direction of the rotation of the rod. In this case, the conservation of angular momentum equation would result in a negative final angular velocity.

4. Is there a difference between the angular velocity of the ball before and after the collision?

In a perfectly elastic collision (where there is no loss of kinetic energy), the angular velocity of the ball will be the same before and after the collision. However, in a partially elastic collision (where some kinetic energy is lost), the angular velocity of the ball after the collision will be slightly less than the initial angular velocity.

5. How does the length of the rod affect the final angular velocity after a ball-rod collision?

The length of the rod does not directly affect the final angular velocity after a ball-rod collision. However, it does affect the moment of inertia of the system, which is a key factor in determining the final angular velocity. A longer rod will have a larger moment of inertia, which means it will require more angular momentum to rotate at a certain speed. Therefore, a longer rod may result in a slightly lower final angular velocity compared to a shorter rod with the same mass and initial angular velocity of the ball.