1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring and block problem

1. Feb 25, 2005 #1
    A 171 g wood block is firmly attached to a very light horizontal spring, as shown in the figure below.
    The block can slide along a table where the coefficient of friction is 0.306. A force of 20.9 N compresses the spring 17.2 cm. If the spring is released from this position, how far beyond its equilibrium position will it stretch on its first swing?

i know the equation is suppose to be 1/2k(x^2-D^2)=(Uk)mg(x+D)
    where D is the distance the block will travel....
    and then set the equation equals to D = x - (2Ukmg)/D
    i plug in all the numbers and i still get the wrong answer...
    i think my K constant is wrong i thought it was just k = 20.9 N/.172 m = 121.51

btw my wrong answer is 8.7596 m

can someone help me?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2005 #2
    Frictional force is Umg. Not Ukmg.

Also Check your calculations. There can not be a D in the denominator.

I am getting,

D = x - (2Umg)/k

4. Feb 25, 2005 #3
    I think he meams that Uk is the kinetic coeffiecient of friction (where the k is meant to be a subscript, not the spring constant).
    but other than that, I got the same equation as gamma.

like gamma said, check your calculations, and also check your units: g -> kg, etc...

5. Feb 25, 2005 #4
    yea mathstudent is right i was talkin about kinetic coefficient and yea i accidently typed the wrong thing for the equation... mathstudent was right i forgot about the units... i used g instead of kg... thanks a lot guys!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?