1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring Collision

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Spring Collision

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 8 kg block is pushed by an external force against a spring with spring constant 173 N/m until the spring is compressed by 2.1 m from its uncompressed length (x = 0). The block rests on a horizontal plane that has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.56. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. Remember: The block is not attached to the spring.

After all the external forces are removed (so the compressed spring releases the mass) how far D along the plane will the block move before coming to a stop? Answer in units of m.

The attempt at a solution...

Ui - Wf = 1/2mv^2

(0.56)mgd = 1/2kx^2 - 1/2mv^2 then I just moved everything over to get d but I used 1/2kx^2 to get the v by setting it equal to 1/2mv^2 so it just cancels out...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But it is given that the block comes to a stop, so v_f =???

4. Nov 19, 2007 #3
    attempt 2...

u = coefficient of friction)

1/2kx^2 = umg*d

d = 1/2kx^2/umg
    d = 8.668616071m (wrong again)

5. Nov 19, 2007 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Too many significant figures! Try 8.7 meters from its released position.

6. Nov 19, 2007 #5
    that doesnt matter thought, the site even says "do not use" sig figs....

7. Nov 19, 2007 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well maybe the darn site is looking for the distance it travels from its original position before the spring was compressed, from x =0, in which case maybe it's looking for d = (8.7 -2.1) = 6.6m?

8. Nov 19, 2007 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your method is fine. I would check your calculation again (I get a different 3rd digit). It shouldn't matter, but that depends on how fussy the online system is.

More important than that is where are you supposed to measure Distance from? From the compressed position (x = -2.1 m)? Or the unstretched position (x = 0)? (Based on how you described it, I'd say from the compressed position, just like you found.)

9. Nov 19, 2007 #8
    yup. it was -2.1 so 6.6m. thx guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?