How Do You Model a Spring/Mass/Damper System with No Friction?

• Thread starter Neofit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation describing a system with two masses and a spring, with no friction and assuming K = K and M = M. The two equations of motion are added together to uncouple them and create an equation in terms of the single variable x1+x2. The resulting equation is valid for positive values of the distance difference and will include absolute value. The conversation also mentions the possibility of subtracting the equations to get a second uncoupled equation in terms of x2-x1, which can then be solved separately and combined with the first equation.
Neofit

Homework Statement

The system is this:
upload_2014-11-1_14-43-43.png

I want to find the equation describing it. Assuming K = K and M = M, no friction.

Homework Equations

Nothing to post here.

The Attempt at a Solution

For left M: ##f(t) = Kx_1 + b \frac {d(x_1 -x_2)}{dt} + M \frac {d^2 x_1}{dt^2}##
For right M: ## b \frac {d(x_1 -x_2)}{dt} = K x_2 + M \frac {d^2 x_2}{dt^2} ##
Adding the equations: ##f(t) = Kx_1 +K x_2 + M \frac {d^2 x_2}{dt^2} + M \frac {d^2 x_1}{dt^2}##

Is that the way to go here? I have no background in physics, this popped out in a homework question. Please let me know if I am on the right track.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no single equation of motion, but rather two equations are required.

What do you think gained by adding the two equations?

I don't think I gained something. It's just that one variable is expressed in terms of two other variables, and I substituted... is that wrong? Anyway, are the two first equations ok? I am not sure about the damper's x variable. Should it be ##x_1 - x_2##?

Neofit said:
I don't think I gained something.
No, I think it was a good move. Look at how x1 and x2 appear in your resulting equation. Notice anything?
Btw, your equations are only valid while d/dt(x1-x2) > 0, right? In general, need some modulus function in there.

##x_1## and ##x_2## are added before multiplied to the spring constant, which is the same for both springs. Is not that what is happening? Once again, first time I saw this kind of problem was days ago in my homework. I was thinking that the resulting equation will equal the force applied, apparently is not what needs to be done.
Yes, the equations are only valid for positive values of the distance difference. Will include absolute value, thank you.
Besides that, are the first two equations correct? They look fine to me, but I won't trust myself on that.

Neofit said:
##x_1## and ##x_2## are added before multiplied to the spring constant, which is the same for both springs.
Yes, and compare that with how they appear in the acceleration terms.
Neofit said:
Besides that, are the first two equations correct
Yes.

I like what you did quite a bit. By adding the two equations together, you were able to uncouple them, so that you arrived at an equation in terms of the single variable x1+x2. If you subtract the two equations, you will get a second uncoupled equation in terms of the single variable x2-x1. You can solve each of these equations separately, and then combine the solutions in the end. Very nice.

Chet

1. What is a Spring/Mass/Damper system?

A Spring/Mass/Damper system is a mechanical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring and a damper. It is used to model the behavior of various physical systems such as mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic systems.

2. What is the role of the spring in a Spring/Mass/Damper system?

The spring provides a restorative force that acts in the opposite direction of the displacement of the mass, restoring it to its equilibrium position. This force is proportional to the displacement and follows Hooke's law.

3. What is the function of the damper in a Spring/Mass/Damper system?

The damper dissipates energy by applying a resistive force that is proportional to the velocity of the mass. This helps to reduce the amplitude of the oscillations and bring the system to a steady state.

4. How does the mass affect the behavior of a Spring/Mass/Damper system?

The mass affects the natural frequency and the amplitude of the system's oscillations. A higher mass will result in a lower natural frequency and a slower response to changes in the system, while a lower mass will result in a higher natural frequency and a more sensitive response.

5. How is a Spring/Mass/Damper system used in real-world applications?

Spring/Mass/Damper systems are commonly used in engineering and physics to model and analyze the behavior of various systems, such as suspension systems in vehicles, shock absorbers in buildings, and vibration isolation systems in machinery. They are also used in control systems to improve the stability and performance of systems.