Spring mass system attached to a disc

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with finding the equation of motion for a disc and a point A with mass m. They attempted to use Newton's second law for rotation, but are struggling to find the values for point A and K in terms of θ. They also discuss the polar moment of inertia and how to calculate it. The final formula they suggest is (m⋅r² + ½⋅m⋅r²)α + (k⋅r²)⋅θ - (m⋅g⋅cosθ⋅r) = 0.
rafaamcarvalho
Hello to all, first sorry about any mistakes because English is not my native language. I'm trying to solve this problem and I can't seem to find the equation of motion

Homework Statement

Captura de Tela 2017-05-09 às 17.17.13.png

The disc and the point A both have mass m;
θ(0) = 0

2. The attempt at a solution
I tried to use the Newton's second law for rotation but I can't find the values of the point A and K in therms of θ.
I don't know if what I did here was correct, but I tried this:

ΣMo = Jα
Jα = m⋅g⋅r - k⋅x⋅r; x = r⋅sinθ

Physics news on Phys.org
rafaamcarvalho said:
Jα = m⋅g⋅r - k⋅x⋅r
Is this for small oscillations only, or can θ be anything? If anything, the mgr term is wrong.
rafaamcarvalho said:
x = r⋅sinθ
It looks to me that the strong wraps around the disc, so it is not sine θ. If the disc has rotated θ, what length of string is wrapped onto it?

Likes rafaamcarvalho
haruspex said:
Is this for small oscillations only, or can θ be anything? If anything, the mgr term is wrong.

I believe so. But if its not m⋅g⋅r, what could it be?

You are right, the spring wraps around the disc, so is the displacement x = r⋅θ?

And how to calcule the polar moment of inertia J of a disc with mass m with a concentrated mass m in point A?

rafaamcarvalho said:
its not m⋅g⋅r, what could it be?
Draw the diagram showing the line of action of mg. For the moment of a force about an axis, you multiply it by the perpendicular distance from its line of action to the axis.
rafaamcarvalho said:
polar moment of inertia J of a disc with mass m with a concentrated mass m in point A
Find the moment of inertia of each mass around the axis and add them.

haruspex said:
Find the moment of inertia of each mass around the axis and add them.

Oh got it, did not check if it was perpendicular, so the therm should be m⋅g⋅cosθ⋅r?

And then my final formula would be,

(m⋅r² + ½⋅m⋅r²)α + (k⋅r²)⋅θ - (m⋅g⋅cosθ⋅r) = 0 ?

rafaamcarvalho said:
Oh got it, did not check if it was perpendicular, so the therm should be m⋅g⋅cosθ⋅r?

And then my final formula would be,

(m⋅r² + ½⋅m⋅r²)α + (k⋅r²)⋅θ - (m⋅g⋅cosθ⋅r) = 0 ?
Looks right.

Likes rafaamcarvalho

Related to Spring mass system attached to a disc

What is a spring mass system attached to a disc?

A spring mass system attached to a disc is a mechanical system where a mass is connected to a spring and a rotating disc. The mass can move vertically due to the spring, while the disc can rotate horizontally.

What is the purpose of a spring mass system attached to a disc?

The purpose of a spring mass system attached to a disc is to study the dynamics and vibrations of the system. It can also be used as a model for various real-world systems, such as a pendulum or a car suspension.

What factors affect the behavior of a spring mass system attached to a disc?

The behavior of a spring mass system attached to a disc is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, the radius of the disc, and the initial conditions of the system (such as the initial displacement and velocity).

How is the motion of a spring mass system attached to a disc described?

The motion of a spring mass system attached to a disc can be described using differential equations, specifically the equations of motion and the equation of energy. These equations can be solved to determine the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the mass and the angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration of the disc at any given time.

What are some practical applications of a spring mass system attached to a disc?

A spring mass system attached to a disc has practical applications in various fields, including mechanical engineering, physics, and robotics. It can be used to study the vibrations and stability of different systems and can also be used as a component in mechanical designs, such as shock absorbers and suspension systems.