Springs experiment, with a graph of length against mass

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment with a system of springs where masses are added to the central spring and the extension is calculated. A graph is then plotted for spring against mass. It is mentioned that repeating the experiment without the central spring results in a straight line on the graph, while the initial graph curves off. The number of springs in the system is also mentioned, with a difference between 6 and 7 resulting in a straight line while a difference between 3 and 4 does not. The conversation also mentions the possibility of the rulers bending and its effect on the experiment.
jack edison

Homework Statement

Say if I had a system with 3 springs on the left, 1 spring in the middle, and another 3 springs on the right. I add masses to the central spring and calculate the extension. After all my measurements, I plot a graph of spring against mass. If I then repeat the experiment again, but with removing the central spring, how would the graph change?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the graph initially is a straight line to begin with, before curving off. Without the central spirng, the graph becomes a straight line

Physics news on Phys.org
jack edison said:
I think the graph initially is a straight line to begin with, before curving off. Without the central spirng, the graph becomes a straight line

So initially 7 springs then 6 springs.

Why would one be "curving off" and the other straight? Why a difference between 6 and 7 and not between say 8 and 9 or 3 and 4?

Got a drawing?

the springs are attached to a ruler, with another ruler directly beneath it. The 'extension' is the distance between the top of the 2 rulers.

Are the rulers rigid?

If they are then the load on the bottom one should be transmitted uniformly to all the springs. So I'd expect a straight line for both provided the springs aren't overloaded (eg they stay within their linear range).

If the rulers bend then the middle spring will be stretched more than the outer springs.

1. How does the length of a spring affect its mass?

The length of a spring does not directly affect its mass. The mass of a spring is determined by the material it is made of and the number of coils it has, not its length.

2. What is the relationship between length and mass in a spring experiment?

The relationship between length and mass in a spring experiment can be described by Hooke's law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to its displacement (change in length). This means that as the length of the spring increases, so does its mass and the force required to extend it.

3. How do you interpret a graph of length against mass in a spring experiment?

A graph of length against mass in a spring experiment will typically show a linear relationship, meaning that as the length of the spring increases, its mass also increases. The slope of the line on the graph represents the spring constant, which describes the stiffness of the spring. As the slope increases, so does the stiffness and the force required to extend the spring.

4. What factors can affect the results of a spring experiment?

The factors that can affect the results of a spring experiment include the material and thickness of the spring, the number of coils, and the accuracy of the measuring equipment used. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect the results.

5. How can the results of a spring experiment be applied in real life?

The results of a spring experiment can be applied in real life in various ways, such as designing and manufacturing springs for different purposes (e.g. in cars, mattresses, or toys). The understanding of the relationship between length and mass in a spring can also be applied in fields such as engineering and physics, where springs are used in various machines and structures.