1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Springs experiment, with a graph of length against mass

1. May 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Say if I had a system with 3 springs on the left, 1 spring in the middle, and another 3 springs on the right. I add masses to the central spring and calculate the extension. After all my measurements, I plot a graph of spring against mass. If I then repeat the experiment again, but with removing the central spring, how would the graph change?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think the graph initially is a straight line to begin with, before curving off. Without the central spirng, the graph becomes a straight line

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So initially 7 springs then 6 springs.

Why would one be "curving off" and the other straight? Why a difference between 6 and 7 and not between say 8 and 9 or 3 and 4?

Got a drawing?

4. May 11, 2015 #3
    the springs are attached to a ruler, with another ruler directly beneath it. The 'extension' is the distance between the top of the 2 rulers.

5. May 11, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are the rulers rigid?

If they are then the load on the bottom one should be transmitted uniformly to all the springs. So I'd expect a straight line for both provided the springs aren't overloaded (eg they stay within their linear range).

If the rulers bend then the middle spring will be stretched more than the outer springs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted