Springs, friction, angles, and energy

In summary, the circus performer, with mass 60 kg, is shot from a cannon with a force of 4800 N. The gun has a very large spring with a very small mass and a force constant of 1400 N/m. The average friction force will be only 35.0 N during the distance of 4.90 m that he moves in the barrel. At what speed will he emerge from the end of the barrel, a distance 2.60 m above his initial rest position?
melodrameric
i have been given the following problem from everyone's favorite, mastering physics.
"The Great Sandini is a circus performer with mass 60.0 kg who is shot from a cannon (actually a spring gun). You don't find many men of his caliber, so you help him design a new gun. This new gun has a very large spring with a very small mass and a force constant of 1400 N/m that he will compress with a force of 4800 N. The inside of the gun barrel is coated with Teflon, so the average friction force will be only 35.0 N during the distance of 4.90 m that he moves in the barrel. At what speed will he emerge from the end of the barrel, a distance 2.60 m above his initial rest position?"

Now, i used hooke's law to find the distance he will travel while still touching the spring.
F = k * x
4800 N = 1400 N/m * x
3.43 m = x
Then, i used the conservation of energy theorem,
Potential(i) + Kinetic(i) + W(friction) = Potential(f) + Kinetic(f)
1/2*k*x^2 + 1/2*m*v^2 + (F*d) = m*g*h + 1/2*m*v^2
1/2*(1400)*(3.43)^2 + 1/2*(60)*(0)^2 + (35)(4.9) = (60)*(9.8)*(2.6) + 1/2*(60)*v^2
8240 J + 172 J = 1530 J +30*v^2
229 m^2/s^2= v^2
15.1 m/s = v

I submitted this answer to mastering physics and it told me i was close and that i may have made a rounding or significant figures error. i submitted 15.2 just to check, and i got the same feedback, maybe it's 15.0?
I think i may have done hooke's law wrong, and that in fact the distance should be twice what i found, using F*x = 1/2*k*x^2, but i only have one attempt left and i want to be sure. Using the second spring potential energy formula and plugging it into the conservation of energy theorem, my answer is 32.4 m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's something wrong with the way that you've set up the equation. Make sure you've got the right signs (i.e. plus or minus) on everything, and that everything is on the correct side of the equation.

ok, so I've just checked my notes and the absolute value of friction should be on the other side of the equation.
Potential(i) + Kinetic(i) = Potention(f) + Kinetic(f) + |W(friction)|

with that, i come out with 14.8 m/s as my final answer.
is that right?

1. What is the relationship between springs and energy?

Springs and energy are directly related, as springs store potential energy when compressed or stretched. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy when the spring is released, causing it to bounce back to its original shape.

2. How does friction affect the movement of objects on an angled surface?

Friction plays a crucial role in determining the movement of objects on an angled surface. Friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, causing it to slow down and eventually come to a stop on an angled surface.

3. What is the effect of changing the angle of a slope on the speed of an object?

The steeper the angle of a slope, the faster an object will accelerate down the slope. This is due to the force of gravity pulling the object down at a steeper angle, increasing its speed.

4. How do springs and angles work together in simple machines?

In simple machines such as levers and pulley systems, springs and angles work together to create mechanical advantage. The angle of a lever or pulley determines the amount of force needed to move an object, while springs can be used to store and release energy to make tasks easier.

5. What factors affect the strength of a spring?

The strength of a spring is affected by several factors, including the material it is made of, the thickness of the wire, and the number of coils. The elasticity of the material also plays a role, as a more elastic material will have a greater restoring force and therefore be stronger.