Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[SQL Server] Object Definition

1. Aug 26, 2016 #1
    Hello experts,
    I would like to learn the implementation of object_definition function in SQL server. I'd like the one with 2 parameters. Could you help me ? Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2016 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What have you learned so far from reading and researching? Do you have specific questions?

4. Aug 27, 2016 #3
    I would like to know what this does in SQL Server
    e.g object_definition(object_id, column_id)
    I know it will return me something, e.g a text string and I think this returned value should be stored somewhere else I just have no clue where it is taken from. I think someone here would probably know this better than I do.

5. Aug 27, 2016 #4

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

6. Aug 27, 2016 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Pepper, it is PF's policy to not spoon-feed answers to member questions. It is actually a rules requirement that you make some effort to find an answer yourself before we can give much more help than provding hints and pointing you at reading material.

7. Aug 28, 2016 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pepper, why don't you execute it, i.e., run it? If you don't have SQL server, it is easy to download a free copy.

8. Aug 28, 2016 #7
    Thanks WWGD, I just ownloaded SQL Server 2016 Express edition and learn something new about T-SQL. :partytime:

9. Aug 28, 2016 #8

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No problem, glad you did, why don't you tell us how it turned out?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  10. Aug 29, 2016 #9
    It turned out to be really cool. I know how to get schema id, table id with objectproperty.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted