Stability Analysis for Implicit Euler Method with Negative Amplification Factor

In summary, an Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE) is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives and describes the change of a system over time. There are two main types of ODEs: explicit and implicit, with the former being expressed explicitly in terms of the independent variable and the latter usually solved using numerical methods. The order of an ODE is determined by the highest derivative present in the equation. ODEs are used to model and study various phenomena in science and engineering, making them essential tools in many fields of research and application.
Marcoreus
Fint the modified equation when the implicit Euler method is applied to y'= f(y). If f(y)=λy, where λ is negative. what is the effect on the amplication factor?
=>

y ' = λ * y
dy / dx = λ * y
dy / y = λ dx
ln y = λ* x + C
y = Ae^( λ* x ), the constant factor does not depend on λ.
i SOLVE THIS FOR THE ACTUAL SOLUTIONS
NOW,
The implicit Euler scheme is given by:
y_(n+1)= y_n +hf(y_n+1 , t_n+1 )
For f(y)=λ y, we have:
y_(n+1)= y_n +hf(y_n+1 , t_n+1 )= y_n + h λ y_n+1
Solving this for y_n+1 (in general, this is not possible), we arrive at:
y_n+1 = y_n / (1-h λ).....(eqn 1)

From (eqn 1), we can see that if |1−h λ|≥1, the solution is decaying (stable). Compare this to the actual solution of y(x)=Ae^(λ x).
If we have λ being negative, we would have:
y_n+1 = y_n / (1+h λ).....(eqn 2)

Compare this to the actual solution of y(x)=Ae^(−λ x). What conclusion can i draw?
Trying it for λ= ±1 , what happens to stability.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Marcoreus said:
Fint the modified equation when the implicit Euler method is applied to y'= f(y). If f(y)=λy, where λ is negative. what is the effect on the amplication factor?
=>

y ' = lambda * y
dy / dx = lambda * y
dy / y = lambda dx
ln y = lambda * x + C
y = [ C / lambda ]e^( lambda * x )
Your last equation is wrong. The equation before it is
ln y = λx + C
Exponentiating (making each side the exponent on e) gives
$$ e^{ln y} = e^{λx + C} = e^{λx} \cdot e^C$$
Can you finish this?

What you have done is solve the DE using separation. I don't know what the "implicit Euler method" is, so you might not have solved this in the intended way.
Marcoreus said:
This is what I have done so far. Can anyone help me if Iam going right direction to answer the question?

Likes 1 person
BTW, your title made me think you had a question about classical poetry. Odes are poems in praise of someone. ODEs are ordinary differential equations.

=>

y ' = λ * y
dy / dx = λ * y
dy / y = λ dx
ln y = λ* x + C
y = Ae^( λ* x ), the constant factor does not depend on λ.
i SOLVE THIS FOR THE ACTUAL SOLUTIONS
NOW,
The implicit Euler scheme is given by:
For f(y)=λ y, we have:
y_(n+1)= y_n +hf(y_n+1 , t_n+1 )= y_n + h λ y_n+1
Solving this for y_n+1 (in general, this is not possible), we arrive at:

From (eqn 1), we can see that if |1−h λ|≥1, the solution is decaying (stable). Compare this to the actual solution of y(x)=Ae^(λ x).

Compare this to the actual solution of y(x)=Ae^(−λ x). What conclusion can i draw?

Welcome to PF;

Ode to ODEs

O My sweet ODE
How is it you can be
So beautiful and yet so deadly
To me

The method's Implicit Euler,
But deep-fried brain is oilier
Numerical iterations don't clean me up!
I'm soilier.

Variables separate
As we cogitate
But it's not the method no
But it's not the method no

By brain hurts so sweetly when you are around
Even when you make by head to pound
But O the joy when the general solution
is found.

Sweet ODE.

"implicit eulers method" is a numerical method involving iteration.
... oh you found it - good :)

that was nice poem. i like it thanks

Imagine my disappointment when I found the thread was not about Odes :(
we arrive at:

... these are all good questions.
Before we pitch in ere, how about having a go at answering them?
Give it your best shot.

If you are stuck, try plotting a few points for some easy values of the parameters.

What is an Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE)?

An Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE) is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It describes how a system changes over time, taking into account the rate of change of the system at any given point.

What are the different types of ODEs?

There are two main types of ODEs: explicit and implicit. In an explicit ODE, the dependent variable is expressed explicitly in terms of the independent variable. In an implicit ODE, the dependent variable is not explicitly expressed in terms of the independent variable and is usually solved using numerical methods.

What is the order of an ODE?

The order of an ODE is the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, a first-order ODE has only the first derivative, while a second-order ODE has the second derivative, and so on.

What are initial value problems and boundary value problems?

Initial value problems are ODEs that have specified initial conditions, meaning that the values of the dependent variable and its derivatives are known at a given point. Boundary value problems, on the other hand, have specified values at different points in the domain of the function.

What is the importance of ODEs in science and engineering?

ODEs are used to model and study various phenomena in science and engineering, such as population growth, heat transfer, and chemical reactions. They provide a mathematical framework to understand and predict the behavior of dynamic systems, making them essential tools in many fields of research and application.