Putting Windows98 SE in Standby Mode: A Guide

• Thread starter himanshu121
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mode
In summary, to put your Windows98 SE in standby mode, you can either click on the "Start" button and then click on "Shut Down", or you can press the power button on your computer. To wake up your computer from standby mode, simply press any key on your keyboard or move your mouse. There is no specific time limit for how long your computer can stay in standby mode, but it is recommended to not leave it in this mode for extended periods of time. Your work will be saved when your computer is in standby mode and you can change the settings for standby mode by going into your computer's Control Panel.
himanshu121
How a computer is put under a STAND BY mode using Windows98 SE

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't think win98 has that functionality. I'm pretty win2000 had it though. Time for you to upgrade anyway ;)

Putting a computer into Standby mode is a useful feature that allows users to quickly pause their work and conserve energy. Windows98 SE has a simple process for putting a computer into Standby mode.

First, make sure that your computer meets the requirements for Standby mode. Your computer must have an Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) BIOS and be connected to an external power source.

To put your computer into Standby mode, follow these steps:

1. Click on the Start button and select Shut Down.
2. In the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click on the Stand By option.
3. If prompted, click on OK to confirm.
4. Your computer will now enter Standby mode.

To exit Standby mode, simply press any key on your keyboard or move your mouse. Your computer will resume from where you left off.

It is important to note that not all computers will have the Standby option available. If you do not see the Standby option in the Shut Down Windows dialog box, your computer may not have the necessary hardware or software to support Standby mode.

In conclusion, putting Windows98 SE into Standby mode is a quick and easy process that can help conserve energy and pause your work. Make sure to check your computer's compatibility with Standby mode before attempting to use it.

1. How do I put my Windows98 SE in standby mode?

To put your Windows98 SE in standby mode, you can either click on the "Start" button and then click on "Shut Down", or you can press the power button on your computer. On the Shut Down screen, there will be an option to put your computer in standby mode. Click on that option and your computer will enter standby mode.

2. How do I wake up my computer from standby mode?

To wake up your computer from standby mode, simply press any key on your keyboard or move your mouse. This will bring your computer back to its previous state before entering standby mode.

3. How long can my computer stay in standby mode?

There is no specific time limit for how long your computer can stay in standby mode. However, it is recommended to not leave your computer in standby mode for extended periods of time as it may drain the battery or cause other issues.

4. Will my work be saved when my computer is in standby mode?

Yes, your work will be saved when your computer is in standby mode. When you wake up your computer, you will be able to continue from where you left off without losing any unsaved work.

5. Can I change the settings for standby mode?

Yes, you can change the settings for standby mode by going into your computer's Control Panel and selecting the "Power Management" option. From there, you can adjust the time it takes for your computer to go into standby mode and other power-saving settings.