Standing Waves Formula Question

In summary, the term representing the wave propagating to the left in the equation for a standing wave is Asin2\pi(t/T + x/\lambda). This is determined by the positive sign in the sine wave, which shifts it towards the left. Another way to check is by using calculus and checking the sign of v, which is the ratio of the partial derivatives of Y with respect to t and x.
jessedevin

Homework Statement

In the equation describing the superposition of the two waves to obtain a standing wave, which term represents the wave propagating to the left?

Homework Equations

Y(x,t) = Asin2[tex]\pi[/tex](t/T - x/[tex]\lambda[/tex]) + Asin2[tex]\pi[/tex](t/T +x/[tex]\lambda[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

I think its Asin2[tex]\pi[/tex](t/T +x/[tex]\lambda[/tex]) because I remember in math that the + in the sin wave will shift it towards the left, but I am not sure. FYI:
T= Tension
t= rime
A= amplitude
[tex]\lambda[/tex]= wave length
x=distance

Physics news on Phys.org
jessedevin said:
I think its Asin2[tex]\pi[/tex](t/T +x/[tex]\lambda[/tex]) because I remember in math that the + in the sin wave will shift it towards the left, ...
Sounds good to me. Do you know calculus? You can also check the sign of
[tex]
v
=
\frac{\frac{\partial{Y}}{\partial{t}}}{\frac{\partial{Y}}{\partial{x}}}
[/tex]

Your understanding is correct. In this equation, the term Asin2\pi(t/T +x/\lambda) represents the wave propagating to the left. This is because the positive sign in front of the x term indicates that the wave is moving in the negative x direction. Similarly, the term Asin2\pi(t/T - x/\lambda) represents the wave propagating to the right, as the negative sign in front of the x term indicates movement in the positive x direction. This is a key feature of standing waves - the combination of two waves propagating in opposite directions creates a stationary pattern.

1. What is the formula for standing waves?

The formula for standing waves is v = fλ, where v is the wave velocity, f is the frequency of the wave, and λ is the wavelength.

2. How are standing waves different from traveling waves?

Standing waves are the result of interference between two waves traveling in opposite directions, whereas traveling waves propagate through a medium without interference.

3. Can the standing wave formula be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, the standing wave formula can be applied to all types of waves, including sound waves, water waves, and electromagnetic waves.

4. How do you calculate the wavelength of a standing wave?

The wavelength of a standing wave can be calculated by dividing the length of the medium by the number of nodes, or points of zero displacement, in the wave.

5. Why are standing waves important in physics and engineering?

Standing waves have practical applications in many areas of physics and engineering, such as in musical instruments, telecommunications, and medical imaging. They also help us understand the behavior of waves and the properties of different materials.