Standing Waves from speakers

In summary, two speakers driven in phase by a common oscillator at 800 Hz and facing each other at a distance of 1.25 m will have relative minima of sound pressure amplitude at points along the line joining them. The points are located at .518 m, .303 m, .0891 m, .732 m, .947 m, and 1.16 m from either speaker. The solutions book determined this by stating that the midpoint (.625 m) is an antinode of pressure and using the distance between adjacent nodes (.214 m) to calculate the other values. The statement about the midpoint being an antinode may seem like a postulation, but it is supported by the fact that at this point, the
Gear300
Two speakers are driven in phase by a common oscillator at 800 Hz and face each other at a distance of 1.25 m. Locate the points along a line joining the two speakers where relative minima of sound pressure amplitude would be expected (Use v = 343 m/s).

This problem ended up screwing my mind until I found out that the waves are supposed to be, as the problem said, in phase. I was able to get the answer, which are .518 m, .303 m, .0891 m, .732 m, .947 m, and 1.16 m from either speaker. However, in the solutions book, the way they did it was by stating that the point halfway between the speakers (.625 m) is an antinode of pressure, and since the distance between adjacent nodes is .214 m and adjacent node-antinodes is .214/2 m, they used .625 - .214/2 = .518 m to find a pressure node. Then they added/subtracted .214 m to get the other values. The statement about the midpoint being a pressure antinode began to screw my mind. They didn't prove anything for it, they stated it as seemingly a postulation out of nowhere...how do they know the midpoint is an antinode?

Physics news on Phys.org
d-_-b

Gear300 said:
Two speakers are driven in phase by a common oscillator at 800 Hz and face each other at a distance of 1.25 m. Locate the points along a line joining the two speakers where relative minima of sound pressure amplitude would be expected (Use v = 343 m/s).

This problem ended up screwing my mind until I found out that the waves are supposed to be, as the problem said, in phase. I was able to get the answer, which are .518 m, .303 m, .0891 m, .732 m, .947 m, and 1.16 m from either speaker. However, in the solutions book, the way they did it was by stating that the point halfway between the speakers (.625 m) is an antinode of pressure, and since the distance between adjacent nodes is .214 m and adjacent node-antinodes is .214/2 m, they used .625 - .214/2 = .518 m to find a pressure node. Then they added/subtracted .214 m to get the other values. The statement about the midpoint being a pressure antinode began to screw my mind. They didn't prove anything for it, they stated it as seemingly a postulation out of nowhere...how do they know the midpoint is an antinode?

The point that is equidistant means that the sound arrives from each speaker at the same time, if they are in phase. Shouldn't you expect a maximum at that point of twice the amplitude? The sound from one speaker 1/4 shy of the mid point added to the one from the other side that has been traveling 1/4 longer then is 1/2 out of phase isn't it?

But how do we know it is not a node?

Gear300 said:
But how do we know it is not a node?

It can't be a node. At the mid point there is by definition constructive interference because the sound is in phase and equidistant from the 2 sources. Destructive interference must be 180 degrees out of phase.

O_O! Good point you make...but to make sure of things...this requires that if a wave immediate to one speaker is, say, compressional, then the wave immediate to the other speaker is also compressional, right?

Gear300 said:
O_O! Good point you make...but to make sure of things...this requires that if a wave immediate to one speaker is, say, compressional, then the wave immediate to the other speaker is also compressional, right?

How would they be in phase otherwise?

I see...Thanks for the clarification

1. What are standing waves from speakers?

Standing waves from speakers are a type of sound wave that is produced when sound is emitted from a speaker and reflects off of surfaces in a room, causing interference and creating areas of increased and decreased sound intensity.

2. How do standing waves affect sound quality?

Standing waves can negatively impact sound quality by causing certain frequencies to be amplified or cancelled out, resulting in uneven sound distribution and distortion.

3. How can standing waves be reduced or eliminated?

Standing waves can be reduced or eliminated by adjusting the placement and orientation of speakers, using sound-absorbing materials in the room, and using multiple speakers to create a more even sound distribution.

4. Can standing waves cause damage to speakers?

Yes, standing waves can cause damage to speakers if they are played at high volumes for extended periods of time. This is because the uneven distribution of sound can cause certain frequencies to be amplified, putting extra strain on the speaker components.

5. Are standing waves only a problem with loud music?

No, standing waves can occur with any type of sound, including speech and quiet music. It is important to be aware of standing waves and their potential impact on sound quality in any listening environment.