Static electricity with spinning disks

In summary: I know that the magnet will cause the charges to build up on the disk, but will it also cause any mechanical friction or movement to be stopped? Would a strong enough magnet be able to stop the disk completely from rotating? Thanks for your help!In summary, it is possible to generate a static charge on two disks if they are spun close to each other. The disks will want to attract each other, but a strong magnet will be able to stop the disks from rotating.
Jdo300
Hello, I am working on a project involving static electricity. I am trying to build a motor type device that can accumulate a static charge through two disks made of dissimilar materials (I’m still working out which two materials would be best) spinning past each other in close proximity. I’m wondering if it is possible for a static charge to build up on the two disks if they are spun close to one another (say with about 1/16 in separation between them. Or do the disks have to be touching/sliding on each other for this to work? I would like to use smooth materials for this experiment. Could someone please enlighten me on this?

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you for the reference. What I am working on is vaguely similar to a Wimherst machine. My question is answered about weather the disks have to be in contact (they don't) to generate a charge, right?

Well, I have a few other questions as well. If I were to use two solid disks spinning close to each other, only facing horizontally one above the other on a vertical shaft, and I had the top disk magnetically levitated above the first, when the static charge builds up, would there be any kind of mechanical friction that would try to slow down the movement of the bottom disk? In this example, I plan to rotate only the bottom disk and fix the top one to the shaft (which is also non-moving). My idea is to eliminate as much friction between the two disks as possible. I know that the disks will want to attract each other when they become charged, but as far as rotational force goes, what they be slowed down from the static charge present? Also one more thing: would the presence of permanent magnet fields have any effect on the charge buildup on the disks?

Thank you,
Jason O

Thank you for the resource link. It looks like I need to do more reading up on the Wimherst and other electrostatic machines. I'm not sure but I think what I am trying to make is similar to an influence electrostatic machine. The whole idea is that I don't want any parts rubbing, rolling, or brushing up against each other to create the charge. Would that be the correct definition of an influence machine?

Well, I came up with yet another question, and this one I have had some trouble finding information on. Perhaps someone here could help me out :smile: I'm wondering if it is possible to induce a static charge using a permanent magnet. (Ex: spinning a disk next to the pole of a magnet). Would that cause charges to collect?

What is static electricity?

Static electricity is a form of electricity that results from the buildup of electric charge on the surface of an object. This buildup occurs when there is a separation of positive and negative charges, creating an imbalance that can result in a static shock.

How do spinning disks create static electricity?

When two surfaces rub against each other, electrons can transfer from one surface to the other, creating an imbalance of positive and negative charges. As the disks spin, friction between them causes this transfer of electrons, resulting in a buildup of static electricity.

What are the potential dangers of static electricity with spinning disks?

Sparks from static electricity can ignite flammable substances, which can be dangerous in certain environments such as gas stations or chemical plants. Additionally, a strong enough static shock can cause damage to electronic devices.

How can static electricity with spinning disks be controlled?

One way to control static electricity is by grounding the objects. This means providing a pathway for the excess charge to flow into the ground, preventing a buildup of static electricity. Another method is by using anti-static materials, which can help to neutralize the charges on the surfaces of the spinning disks.

Can static electricity with spinning disks be harnessed for practical use?

Yes, static electricity can be harnessed for various practical purposes. For example, static charges can be used to attract and separate small particles, such as in air filters or inkjet printers. It can also be used to power devices, such as in electrostatic generators or piezoelectric materials.