Static equilibrium and tension problem

In summary, the problem involves two horizontal scaffolds, with uniform masses of 35 kg and 45 kg, connected by tension forces. A 17 kg box of nails is placed on the second scaffold, 0.50 m from the left end. The goal is to find the tension T in the cable connecting the two scaffolds. To do this, the system is resolved into a single effective mass, and the center of mass is determined. This center of mass is then used to determine the final distribution of tension between the two primary support cables. The tensions will not be equal, but their sum must be equal to 97, the total weight acting through the center of mass.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

In Figure 12-36, horizontal scaffold 2, with uniform mass m2 = 35 kg and length L2 = 2.0 m, hangs from horizontal scaffold 1, with uniform mass m1 = 45 kg. A 17 kg box of nails lies on scaffold 2, centered at distance d = 0.50 m from the left end.
What is the tension T in the cable indicated?

Homework Equations

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c12/q05f.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

do i have to set the forces equal to zero for the WHOLE system? or the bottom system first? do I have to do anything with rotational? I think what is confusing me is how the tensions act in the system, specifically the tensions in the rods between the two scaffolds. I know there should be a tension force uppard in reaction to the weight of the bottom scaffold, so would the forces of the top scaffold include these tension forces? I'm confused. This is supposed to be a simple problem, perhaps I'm over thinking it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might consider resolving the system into a single effective mass, and determine the center of mass and then use that to determine the final distribution of Tension between the 2 primary support cables.

Because to answer your question, yes. The system is static, and the sum of the Torques about any point are 0.

so i should find a center of mass, but the center of mass of both scaffolds? so i should do

(35)(1.5)+(45)(1.5)+(17)(1) all divided by 97? kind of as if i were to superimpose the top scaffold over the bottom scaffold?

Puchinita5 said:
so i should find a center of mass, but the center of mass of both scaffolds? so i should do

(35)(1.5)+(45)(1.5)+(17)(1) all divided by 97? kind of as if i were to superimpose the top scaffold over the bottom scaffold?

Yes. That's what I'd do.

Then use the total weight acting through the center of mass for it all.

and the tensions? would they all be the same magnitude?

Puchinita5 said:
and the tensions? would they all be the same magnitude?

The tensions must add to 97 if that's what you're asking. But they will be distributed unequally which is where you take your sum of the torques to figure it.

What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in zero net force and zero acceleration. This means that the object remains at rest or continues to move at a constant velocity.

How is static equilibrium different from dynamic equilibrium?

Dynamic equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in zero net force and constant velocity. Unlike static equilibrium, the object is in motion in dynamic equilibrium.

What is the role of tension in static equilibrium?

Tension is a force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched. In a static equilibrium problem, tension is often used to balance out other forces acting on an object in order to maintain equilibrium.

How do you solve a static equilibrium and tension problem?

To solve a static equilibrium and tension problem, you need to identify all the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, set up equations based on the principles of Newton's laws and apply them to the object to solve for unknown variables and determine the tension in the system.

What are some common applications of static equilibrium and tension in real life?

Static equilibrium and tension are commonly used in engineering and construction to ensure the stability of structures such as bridges and buildings. They are also important in sports, such as rock climbing, where ropes and anchors are used to maintain equilibrium and support the weight of the climber.