1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static Equilibrium Question

1. Feb 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If the load on the uniform beam shown below is moved to the left, how do the tension force T and the magnitude of the vertical force Fv exerted by the wall on the hinge change?

The answer is A
    2. Relevant equations
    torque = Fdsin(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    My equation was Tsinx = fd. I understand when the object is moved to the left the distance decreases, and the angle decreases, but I don't understand how the vertical force increases exerted by the wall

Also for the 2nd question ( the ladder one) why is the answer B? What I thought was Fgdcos theta = FN2(d)(cos theta) + FN1(d)(cos theta), so when the distance for FN1 increases wouldn't the force increase too?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What angle decreases? As I read the question, only the load is moving. The cable stays put.

4. Feb 8, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I cannot understand your notation. Is this a force equation or a moment equation? What is Fgd? Is FN2(d) the force FN2 as a function of d, the distance up the ladder, or is it a force multiplied by a distance?
    (You will need to consider moments to answer the question.)

5. Feb 8, 2017 #4
    Oh I meant Fg(d) and it's for the torque equation

6. Feb 8, 2017 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ok. What point are you taking moments about?
    You seem to be using the same d for different distances and the same θ for different angles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted