Static equillibrum problem (FBD)

• Thread starter jklops686
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fbd Static
In summary, the forearm weighs 20.0 N and has a center of gravity in the position shown in the diagram. The person is pushing DOWN on the weight scale shown in the picture. The tension, M, in the triceps muscle can be calculated using the equation 70(0.4)-20(.15)-M(.025)=0. It is important to remember to include all forces, such as the reaction force from the scale, on a free body diagram when solving problems like this.
jklops686

Homework Statement

The forearm weighs 20.0 N and has a center of gravity in the position shown in the diagram. The person is pushing DOWN on the weight scale shown in the picture. If the reading on the scale is 70 N, calculate the tension, M, in the triceps muscle.

I understand how this problem works. My question is with the FBD, and which way the force vectors are supposed to go. My intuition (like in my attachment pic) is that the hand pressing on the scale would be going down (counterclockwise negative direction). But there should also be the reaction force going up? I've talked to people and it seems the correct answer should be with the arrow going up in order to get a positive answer for M.

Homework Equations

M=0

The Attempt at a Solution

What makes sense to me:

-70(0.4)-20(.15)-M(.025)=0 So, M=-1240

What I think the answer is:

70(0.4)-20(.15)-M(.025)=0 So, M=+1000

So why won't there be a down force from the hand pushing down?

Attachments

• elbow.png
    elbow.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,144
Physics news on Phys.org
hi jklops686! :smile:
jklops686 said:
My question is with the FBD, and which way the force vectors are supposed to go. My intuition (like in my attachment pic) is that the hand pressing on the scale would be going down (counterclockwise negative direction). But there should also be the reaction force going up? …

So why won't there be a down force from the hand pushing down?

a free body diagram must show all the forces on a body

in this case, the body is the forearm

the reaction force from the scale is a force on the forearm, so it goes on the free body diagram :wink:

brilliant! That's definitely good to remember. Thank you. I was thinking the hand pushing would act as a load force.

FAQ: Static equillibrum problem (FBD)

What is a "Static Equilibrium Problem"?

A static equilibrium problem is a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the forces acting on an object that is at rest. In these problems, the object is not moving, so the sum of all the forces acting on it must be equal to zero.

What is a "Free Body Diagram"?

A free body diagram (FBD) is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object in a static equilibrium problem. It shows the object as a point and includes vectors to represent the magnitude and direction of each force acting on the object.

Why is it important to draw an accurate FBD?

An accurate FBD is important because it allows you to clearly see all the forces acting on an object and their directions, which is crucial for solving static equilibrium problems. By drawing an accurate FBD, you can easily identify which forces are balanced and which are unbalanced.

What are the key steps for solving a static equilibrium problem?

The key steps for solving a static equilibrium problem are: 1) drawing an accurate FBD, 2) applying Newton's laws of motion to write equations for the forces in the x and y directions, 3) solving the equations simultaneously to find the unknown forces, and 4) checking your solution to ensure it satisfies the conditions for static equilibrium.

What are some common mistakes when solving static equilibrium problems?

Some common mistakes when solving static equilibrium problems include: not drawing an accurate FBD, forgetting to include all the forces acting on the object, not applying Newton's laws of motion correctly, and not checking the solution for static equilibrium. It is also important to pay attention to the units used in the problem and make sure they are consistent throughout the solution.