Solving Static Friction Problems: Finding n from Velocity

In summary, the force of static friction can be calculated using the equation Us*n, but if given only velocity and no mass, it is not possible to find the normal force (n) without additional information. Normal forces are typically due to the weight of the object and can be affected by other forces pushing or pulling on the object. If there is no other information given, it may not be necessary to find n in order to solve the problem. If this is unclear, it may be helpful to post a specific problem in the Homework section.
hellomister
Hello,

the Force of static friction = Us*n , if i am given a Velocity then how do i find n (normal force)? There is no mass given just a velocity. I am not asking for help for a solution for homework, i am just asking for clarification.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Often normal forces are due simply to the weight of the object, and possibly the angle or slope of the surface.

Normal forces are also affected by forces that push an object into a surface (or pull on it, but without actually pulling it off of the surface.)

I don't know of any case where the velocity is used to find n. There would have to be some other information given to find n, or if not then perhaps n is not needed in order to solve the problem.

You may need to post a specific problem in the Homework section, if this is not clear.

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out for clarification. In order to solve for n (normal force) in this situation, you will need to use the equation F = ma, where F is the force of static friction and a is the acceleration. Since the object is not moving, the acceleration will be zero. This means that the force of static friction will also be zero. Therefore, you can set the equation Us*n = 0 and solve for n. This will give you the value of the normal force needed to counteract the force of static friction and keep the object from moving.

I hope this helps clarify the situation. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Best of luck with your problem solving!

1. How do you calculate the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction can be calculated by dividing the force of static friction by the normal force. This can be represented by the equation μs = Fs/N.

2. What is the purpose of finding n from velocity in solving static friction problems?

Finding n, or the coefficient of static friction, from velocity allows us to determine the amount of force needed to overcome static friction and set an object in motion.

3. How do you determine the force of static friction?

The force of static friction can be determined by multiplying the coefficient of static friction by the normal force, or Fs = μs*N.

4. What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction can be affected by the types of materials in contact, the surface roughness, and the presence of any lubricants or adhesives.

5. Can the coefficient of static friction be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of static friction can be greater than 1. This indicates that a greater force is needed to overcome static friction and set an object in motion.