How does friction affect tension in a statics problem involving belt friction?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three pipes with different tensions and angles. The speaker made a mistake in choosing the tension for one of the pipes, resulting in the wrong answer. After correcting the mistake, the correct answer was found. The conversation ends with a discussion on the role of friction in maintaining balance between the tensions.
yaro99

Homework Statement

ldTF3WW.png

Homework Equations

T1/T2=eμs
where T2 is the larger tension and β is the angle between the tensions.

The Attempt at a Solution

Isolating each pipe:
mdTTSvk.png

W1 = 50*9.81 = 490.5N
For pipe B, β = (2π)/3
For pipe C, β = π/3

For pipe B, T2 = 490.5N, so I have:
490.5/T = e0.25*((2π)/3)
T = 290.6N

Now here is where I made the wrong choice. On pipe C, I chose W2 to be T2 because if equilibrium is maintained, it would make sense for W2 to be going down, not up. This got me the wrong answer.

Then I tried making T2 = T instead:
290.6/W2 = e0.25*(π/3)
W2 = 233.7N
m = 233.7/9.81 = 22.8kg

22.8kg is the right answer. I am just not understanding why T is the stronger tension on pipe C. It seems to me that it would cause the 50kg weight to start falling.

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean as in the 290.6 N outbalancing the 233.7 N?
The friction force helps the weaker force to hold the balance.

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that resists the motion or tendency to move of an object on a surface. It occurs when two surfaces are in contact and there is no relative motion between them.

2. How does belt friction affect mechanical systems?

Belt friction is an important factor in mechanical systems, especially in machines that involve the movement of belts such as conveyor belts or pulley systems. It can affect the efficiency of the system and may also cause wear and tear on the belts.

3. What factors affect belt friction?

The amount of belt friction depends on several factors including the material and surface properties of the belt and the surface it is in contact with, the tension of the belt, and the angle of wrap of the belt around the pulley.

4. How is belt friction calculated?

Belt friction is typically calculated using the coefficient of friction between the belt and the surface it is in contact with, the normal force between the belt and the surface, and the angle of wrap of the belt. These values can be used in equations to determine the amount of friction present.

5. How can belt friction be reduced?

Belt friction can be reduced by using materials with lower coefficients of friction, lubricating the surface, or increasing the tension in the belt. Additionally, using larger pulleys can decrease the angle of wrap and therefore reduce the amount of friction.