1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics with Friction

1. Nov 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 120lb cabinet is mounted on casters that can be locked to prevent their rotation. The coefficient of static friction between the floor and each caster is 0.30. If h=32in, determine the magnitude of the force P required to move the cabinet to the right (a) if all casters are locked, (b) if the caster at B are locked and the caster at A are free to rotate, (c) if the casters at A are locked and the caster at B are free to rotate.

2. Relevant equations
    For part (a) sum of the forces in x and sum of the forces in y. I solved part (a), though I am stuck on part (b)

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt solution for (b)
    So since I know that the wheel at A is free to move then Fm2 and Fn2 are equal to zero. So the only point I am looking at is point B where there is a normal force called Fn1 and Fm1 (impending force). There is a force P (what I am looking for) acting to the right 32in from the floor. The distance between the wheels are 24in. A little later today I attach a file with my solutions for part (a) and my attempt solution for part (b). I will give you a little summary as to how I solved part (b). So I sum forces in Y to find Fn1, once that was obtained I took the moment about point A assuming that the Fm1 acting at roller B is going right through the location I took moments about, therefore it goes away? After I took moments about point A I got a result of 45lb for P. The answer should be 30lb.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is there a diagram?

4. Nov 29, 2014 #3
    Here is the diagram I drew. For part (b) I was just trying different techniques. If I make the small equations I still get the same results if I solve for individual forces separately. I have a feeling I can't take moments about A because the line of action for Fm1 doesn't go through the point A where I am summing moments?

Attached Files:

5. Nov 30, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

FN2 + FN1 > 120lbs. ... the front wheels dig into the ground more due to force P.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted