Solve Statics w/Friction Homework: P Force for Cabinet Movement

In summary, the force P required to move the cabinet to the right is 30lb if all casters are locked, 45lb if the caster at B are locked and the caster at A are free to rotate, or 0lb if the casters at A are locked and the caster at B are free to rotate.
ME_student

Homework Statement

A 120lb cabinet is mounted on casters that can be locked to prevent their rotation. The coefficient of static friction between the floor and each caster is 0.30. If h=32in, determine the magnitude of the force P required to move the cabinet to the right (a) if all casters are locked, (b) if the caster at B are locked and the caster at A are free to rotate, (c) if the casters at A are locked and the caster at B are free to rotate.

Homework Equations

For part (a) sum of the forces in x and sum of the forces in y. I solved part (a), though I am stuck on part (b)

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt solution for (b)
So since I know that the wheel at A is free to move then Fm2 and Fn2 are equal to zero. So the only point I am looking at is point B where there is a normal force called Fn1 and Fm1 (impending force). There is a force P (what I am looking for) acting to the right 32in from the floor. The distance between the wheels are 24in. A little later today I attach a file with my solutions for part (a) and my attempt solution for part (b). I will give you a little summary as to how I solved part (b). So I sum forces in Y to find Fn1, once that was obtained I took the moment about point A assuming that the Fm1 acting at roller B is going right through the location I took moments about, therefore it goes away? After I took moments about point A I got a result of 45lb for P. The answer should be 30lb.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a diagram?

Here is the diagram I drew. For part (b) I was just trying different techniques. If I make the small equations I still get the same results if I solve for individual forces separately. I have a feeling I can't take moments about A because the line of action for Fm1 doesn't go through the point A where I am summing moments?

Attachments

• img160.pdf
    107.7 KB · Views: 437
FN2 + FN1 > 120lbs. ... the front wheels dig into the ground more due to force P.

I would first commend the student for their thorough approach to solving the problem and for seeking clarification on the part they are stuck on. It is important to fully understand each step in solving a problem in order to arrive at the correct answer.

For part (b), it appears that the student has correctly identified that the only forces acting on the cabinet are the normal force and the impending force at point B. However, the student's calculation of the moment about point A may not be accurate. Since the caster at A is free to rotate, the force acting at point B may not be directly in line with the distance of 24in from point A. This could result in a different moment calculation and therefore a different value for P.

I would suggest re-evaluating the moment calculation, taking into account the potential direction of the impending force at point B. Additionally, double-checking the values used for the normal force and the coefficient of static friction may also help in arriving at the correct answer.

What is statics with friction?

Statics with friction is the study of objects at rest or in equilibrium when there is friction present. This involves analyzing the forces acting on an object and determining whether it will move or remain stationary.

How do you solve statics with friction homework?

To solve statics with friction homework, you must first draw a free body diagram of the object with all the forces acting on it. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion and the equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces and determine if the object will move or not.

What is the P force for cabinet movement?

The P force for cabinet movement refers to the minimum amount of force required to move a cabinet with friction. This force is typically calculated by taking into account the coefficient of friction between the cabinet and the surface it is resting on, as well as the weight of the cabinet.

How does friction affect cabinet movement?

Friction plays a significant role in cabinet movement as it opposes the motion of the cabinet. The higher the coefficient of friction between the cabinet and the surface it is resting on, the more force is required to move the cabinet. Additionally, friction can also cause the cabinet to stop moving if the applied force is not sufficient.

What factors can affect the P force for cabinet movement?

The P force for cabinet movement can be affected by several factors, including the coefficient of friction, the weight of the cabinet, and the angle of the surface the cabinet is resting on. Other factors such as the condition of the surface and any external forces acting on the cabinet can also impact the P force required for movement.