1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics: Mean and Standard Deviation

1. Feb 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a recent survey, 80% of the community favored building a police substation in their neighborhood. If 15 citizen are chosen, what is the standard deviation of the number favoring the substation?:yuck:

2. Relevant equations

I know that my mean is 15 and the probiblilty is 80 but how do I get the standard deviation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2007 #2
    The answer is 12.

Do NOT simply give out the answer. In fact, don't give the answer at all in the homework section! (Not even a wrong answer! The question was about the standard deviation, not the mean.)
    (Editted by HallsofIvy)
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2007
  4. Feb 26, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You need to go back and read the basic definitions! The number of people surveyed is 15. That surely does not mean that they will expect all 15 to favor the substation! The expected value (mean) is not 15.

This is a binomial distribution with p= .8, q= 1- .8= .2, and n= 15. I'm sure you textbook tells you that the mean of a binomial distribution is np and the standard deviation is [itex]\sqrt{npq}[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?