Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stay marry, but sleep with other people.

1. Apr 15, 2006 #1
    I heard something from a friend today. She said she and her hushand had agreed on the possibility of "seeing other people" in the future, but still remain marry. I was sort of amused, because i could not in my wildest dream imagine such relationship with my own girlfriends. My question is this: Is this kind of relationship common?( couple stay marry, but sleep with other people) What is your opinion about it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2006 #2
    It's called swingers. :rofl:
  4. Apr 15, 2006 #3

Its uncommon, but sometimes people do what cyrus is alluding to.
  5. Apr 15, 2006 #4

Gold Member

There are plenty of people who sleep with other people but are married.

It's just the spouse doesn't know about it haha
  6. Apr 15, 2006 #5
    I would suppost most men would be turn off by such notions? Is this some type of sick perversions?
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  7. Apr 15, 2006 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They did an episode of Bull****! involving a family set up like that.
  8. Apr 16, 2006 #7
    What is most surprising for me is how other people act as if this stuff is no big deal.
  9. Apr 16, 2006 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is no dishonesty, disingenuity, hurt or manipulation involved here. It is a completely open, honest and (for the participants) pleasurable relationship. What basis do you have, to call it a perversion ?
  10. Apr 16, 2006 #9
    Having sex is not like scratching an itch. To sleep with someone you don't love is IMO disgusting.
  11. Apr 16, 2006 #10
    That's their opinion and they are entitled to it. If no one involved thinks it's a 'big deal' then it isn't.
  12. Apr 16, 2006 #11
    That kind of thinking is going to destroy society.
  13. Apr 16, 2006 #12

Gold Member

On the contrary I think this kind of closed-mindedness is going to destroy society.
  14. Apr 16, 2006 #13

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nah, it's going to be the people who convince themselves that no criticism is deserved, because the sources are obviously closed-minded. :biggrin:
  15. Apr 16, 2006 #14
    Sounds like you have a 'harom'. I want one.
  16. Apr 16, 2006 #15
    There should be leeway in thinking and ideas, but a society still needs some sort of moral standard in order to keep going. Remember the Romans.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  17. Apr 16, 2006 #16
    What is going to destroy society is the fact that people allow other people to make their decisions for them. Scott, you are apparently an example of this. Or at least you assume many other people do this. In my own mind I would NOT be in a marriage like this. I have made up my own mind. I do NOT rely on society to tell me what is wrong and what is right. Feel free to criticize me all you want. I believe it is your right to do so.
  18. Apr 16, 2006 #17
    I am not for, forcing people what to do. Do not put words into my mouth. I am agaisnt the idea that screwing around is acceptable. I just believe that the media today protrays it as an ideal or something very common. People need to understand the consequences of this kind of action. I thought that we all were above personal attacks but I guess not.
  19. Apr 16, 2006 #18

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or, maybe what is destroying society is that people think they have the knowledge and expertise to make any decision that they want to make?
  20. Apr 16, 2006 #19
    Yes, maybe a little. It is also an extreme. I know there are some decisions I am incapable of making on my own. But at the same time I don't blindly follow what society puts in front of me. There is a happy medium to be struck.
  21. Apr 16, 2006 #20
    Back the truck up. I in no way see what I posted as a personal attack. I simply said what appeared to be pretty obvious to me. So what if the media portrays whatever it portrays? Do you or anyone else have to blindly follow what is put in front of you? You are right, people DO need to understand the consequences of their actions. If they truly DO understand the consequences of their actions then the media or whatever else is put in front of them should be meaningless.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?