1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steam driven turbine: Heat, Power, evaporation

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A steam driven turbine generates 200 MW of mechanical power at tan eficiency of 32%. The temperature of the steam at the input is 500 C, and at the output it is 200C

a: How much power is input as heat to run this turbine?

b: How much power is lost in hear to the environment?

c: What is the max ifficiency of any system used to do work with these input and output temps?

d: If the waste hear is used to to evaporate water, how many kilograms of water can be evaporated in one hour?

2. Relevant equations

a: Qh = work/efficiency = 625MW

b: Qh - Work = 425MW

c: carnot engine: 1-(Tc/Th) = 1-(473/773) = .338

d: Not sure: Q = mc(delta T)

3. The attempt at a solution

As you can see a, b, and c are figured out. I'm not sure how to approach d. No temp is given for the water, so I can't get delta T.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

You have the waste heat being used to evaporate the water. So it is changing from a liquid to solid. So that waste heat will provide the latent heat to change the phase.

(you can be more technical and have the latent heat + sensible heat, but as you said, you are not given a temperature so no ΔT - unless you assume an atmospheric temperature)

EDIT:I meant liquid to gas not solid, my bad :redface:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  4. Aug 3, 2011 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are evaporating water, it is changing from a liquid to a gas, not a solid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook