Steering Wheel Radius - 2 Wheels

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a formula to determine the turn angle of each wheel on a Go-Kart in order to avoid mutual drag and binding. The formula would need to take into account the wheel track width and the radius of the curve the kart is taking. The speaker suggests a model for the curve radius and explains how the outer and inner wheels should be positioned based on this model.
2know
On a Go-Kart you have two independent steerable front wheels that can be adjusted to steer at different rates. What I am trying to figure out is a formula I can use, converted to degrees or MM, to give the turn angle each wheel must achieve to turn the kart and not create mutual drag and binding?

Example:

The Kart is turned to the right. The left wheel turns 5 degrees right (or, say, 5cm right measured 1 foot in front of the wheel). How many degrees (or, MM) will the right wheel turn to create an arc that will parallel the left wheel. Obviously the right wheel will turn more than the left because it arcs a smaller circle. I just need a very simple formula to deduct this, "wheel parallel" for all angles. I have a device that will measure wheel movement in mm 1 foot in front of the wheel. Intuitively the answer will depend on wheel track width also.

thank you,

2know

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Time to speak of what I don't know.

It occurs to me that the main difficulty is not knowing the radius of the curve your kart is taking. But the driver sees it, makes a quick estimate, and turns the steering wheel accordingly.

So suppose you model the curve radius R after the wheel turning angle w, say, R = f(w) = k/w for some constant k (you can refine your model later). Now you set the outer wheel tangent to a circle of radius R, and the inner wheel tangent to a circle of radius R-d, where d is the distance between wheels.

1. What is the purpose of a steering wheel?

The steering wheel is used to control the direction of a vehicle. It allows the driver to turn the wheels of the vehicle left or right, which in turn changes the direction of the vehicle.

2. How does the steering wheel radius affect the handling of a vehicle?

The steering wheel radius, or the distance from the center of the wheel to the outer edge, can affect the amount of force needed to turn the wheel and the responsiveness of the vehicle. A larger steering wheel radius may require more effort to turn, while a smaller radius may provide quicker response but may also feel more sensitive.

3. Is there an ideal steering wheel radius for all vehicles?

No, the ideal steering wheel radius can vary depending on the size and weight of the vehicle, as well as personal preference. Generally, larger vehicles may have larger steering wheel radiuses to provide more leverage for steering, while smaller vehicles may have smaller radiuses for quicker response.

4. Can the steering wheel radius be adjusted?

Yes, some vehicles may have adjustable steering wheel radiuses, allowing the driver to customize their driving experience. This can be especially helpful for drivers with different hand sizes or preferences.

5. How does the number of wheels on a vehicle affect the steering wheel radius?

The number of wheels on a vehicle does not directly affect the steering wheel radius. However, the type of wheels and tires may play a role in the overall handling and responsiveness of the vehicle, which can indirectly impact the steering wheel radius.