Stellar Evolution: In-Depth Books for Learners

In summary, the conversation is about the person's interest in learning more about stellar evolution and the end of a star's life. They mention wanting a deeper understanding and prefer a textbook, specifically mentioning their background knowledge and current academic level. The expert suggests a textbook that caters to second-year students in physics and planetary sciences.
jamalkoiyess
hello PF,
I want to know more about stellar evolution and about the end of the star's life.
I want something that is not very superficial as i get bored when the content is not really deep.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your background knowledge? Are you looking for a textbook or a popular book?

The bible on that is Kippenhahn and Wiegert, Stellar Structure and Evolution.

Likes amarante and jamalkoiyess
Bandersnatch said:
What is your background knowledge? Are you looking for a textbook or a popular book?
I would prefer a textbook, I finished my first semester as a sophomore , so i have finished Calc. 3 and took an advanced course on electricity and magnetism.

I don't think there is much at that level. There's a very narrow window between sophomore year and first year graduate student, so there is little motivation to put in the huge effort it takes to write a book with such a small market.

Likes jamalkoiyess
I think Dina Prialnik's 'An Introduction to the Theory of Stellar Structure and Evolution' is aimed exactly at this market. As she mentions in the preface, it's aimed at second-year students in the physics and planetary sciences courses.

Likes jamalkoiyess

What is stellar evolution?

Stellar evolution is the process by which a star changes over time, from its formation to its eventual death.

What are the stages of stellar evolution?

The stages of stellar evolution include protostar, main sequence, red giant, planetary nebula, and white dwarf or supernova, depending on the mass of the star.

What factors influence the evolution of a star?

The evolution of a star is influenced by its initial mass, composition, and rate of nuclear fusion.

What is the role of gravity in stellar evolution?

Gravity plays a crucial role in stellar evolution as it determines the initial collapse of a molecular cloud to form a star and also helps to maintain the star's stability throughout its lifetime.

How can studying stellar evolution help us understand the universe?

Studying stellar evolution can help us understand the formation and evolution of galaxies and the distribution of elements in the universe. It also provides insights into the physical laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy in extreme conditions.