Stepper Motor Working: Benefits & Challenges

In summary, the conversation is about using a high torque stepper motor for an auto clutch system project. The person is asking if the motor resists rotation when the power supply is cut and if there is a break function in the stepper controller. The other person suggests looking at the data sheet for the detent torque and the stepper controller's specs. They also mention the possibility of the motor working as a generator and heating its own windings if short-circuited when the power supply is cut.
Sridhar96
Hey guys,
I am planning to use a stepper motor for a project of mine(Auto clutch system)

I would like to know if the stepper resists rotation if the power supply to it is cut,as this will be useful when we decide to shift the clutch to our control.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi there
have you played with a stepper motor ?
have you tried turning it when there is no power on it ? that is the resistance that there is to turning ( excluding any load resistance)
some are easy to turn, others are a little more difficultDave

Hi, i have not purchase 8
davenn said:
hi there
have you played with a stepper motor ?
have you tried turning it when there is no power on it ? that is the resistance that there is to turning ( excluding any load resistance)
some are easy to turn, others are a little more difficultDave
Hello, i have not purchased it yet.It is an extremely high torque motor(85 kgcm)..that is why i wanted to know.Thanks

The data sheet will have the detent torque:

Detent torque is the amount of torque that must be applied to a motor to overcome the static (magnetic) equilibrium of the motor when it is in an unpowered state of rest

Likes davenn
Look at the spec sheet for the stepper controller. It might have a break function.

If you short circuit the motor when the power supply is cut, I assume that the motor will resist rotation even more, because it will work as a generator, and will heat its own windings.

What is a stepper motor and how does it work?

A stepper motor is an electromechanical device that converts electrical pulses into precise mechanical movements. It works by using a series of electromagnets to attract and repel a rotor, causing it to rotate in small, precise steps.

What are the benefits of using a stepper motor?

Stepper motors offer several benefits, including high precision and accuracy, repeatability, and the ability to control speed and position. They also have a simple design and are relatively easy to use and maintain.

What are the challenges of using a stepper motor?

One of the main challenges of using a stepper motor is the need for precise control of the electrical pulses. This can be difficult to achieve in some applications and may require additional equipment or software. Additionally, stepper motors can experience resonance, which can affect their performance and accuracy.

What types of applications are stepper motors commonly used in?

Stepper motors are commonly used in applications that require precise positioning and control, such as 3D printers, CNC machines, robotics, and medical equipment. They are also often used in consumer electronics, such as camera lenses and disk drives.

How can the performance of a stepper motor be optimized?

The performance of a stepper motor can be optimized by choosing the right driver and controller for the specific application, properly sizing the motor for the load and speed requirements, and carefully tuning the system for optimal performance. Using a closed-loop control system can also help to improve the accuracy and reliability of a stepper motor.