Still confused about electric potential difference *read first*

In summary: The voltage at a point on the electric field loop is the same as the voltage at the point on the magnetic field loop.
user111_23
I understand what voltage is in the context of electrostatics, but the definition of circuits seems foggy to me.

The common definition I see is something like "voltage is the amount of work per unit charge to be done on a charge moving from A to B". However, this is usually in the context of electrostatics, not circuits. What about the definition for circuits? Please don't give me the water analogy because I have heard it far too much.

Also, I was reading this part of an article about voltage:

"If I grab electrons away from a wire, that wire will have excess protons left behind. If I place those electrons into another wire, then my two wires have oppositely-imbalanced charge. They have a voltage between them too, and a static-electric field extends across the space between them. This field is the voltage."

Does this mean that voltage is an electric field between an imbalance of charges?
If so, why is it called a potential difference? :confused:

Here is the source (Warning: it's a very long article):

http://amasci.com/elect/vwatt1.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
user111_23 said:
The common definition I see is something like "voltage is the amount of work per unit charge to be done on a charge moving from A to B". However, this is usually in the context of electrostatics, not circuits. What about the definition for circuits? Please don't give me the water analogy because I have heard it far too much.
Water analogy? :confused: Actually never mind, maybe I don't want to know... anyway voltage is defined in exactly the same way for circuits. When a current runs through a section of wire, there are electrons moving through that wire, and it takes work to move those electrons. The amount of work per unit charge (of moving electrons) is the voltage, a.k.a. potential difference, along the wire.

user111_23 said:
"If I grab electrons away from a wire, that wire will have excess protons left behind. If I place those electrons into another wire, then my two wires have oppositely-imbalanced charge. They have a voltage between them too, and a static-electric field extends across the space between them. This field is the voltage."

Does this mean that voltage is an electric field between an imbalance of charges?
If so, why is it called a potential difference? :confused:
Voltage is not an electric field, but it is associated with an electric field. That is, whenever there is an electric field, there will be a change in voltage, and vice-versa. The reason is that if you want to move charges against the electric field, it takes work to do so. The amount of work it takes per unit charge is the voltage, a.k.a. potential difference.

An constant electric field loops around a region of constantly changing magnetic field. What is the voltage at a point A on the loop compared to a the point A on the loop?

1. What is electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It represents the amount of work needed to move a unit charge from one point to another.

2. How is electric potential difference measured?

Electric potential difference is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the two points between which the potential difference is to be measured.

3. What is the relationship between electric potential difference and electric field?

Electric potential difference is directly proportional to the electric field strength. This means that a higher potential difference between two points indicates a stronger electric field between them.

4. How does electric potential difference affect the movement of charges?

The direction of movement of charges is determined by the difference in electric potential. Charges move from a higher potential to a lower potential, releasing energy in the process. This movement of charges is what creates an electric current.

5. What factors affect electric potential difference?

The magnitude of electric potential difference is affected by the distance between the two points, the amount of charge present, and the strength of the electric field. Additionally, the type of material between the two points can also influence the potential difference.