Still trouble with time dilation

In summary, the time difference between two clocks is small, but it can be calculated using the dilation factor and the gamma factor.
kait

Homework Statement

The Apollo astronauts returned from the moon under the Earth's gravitational force and reached speeds almost 25,000 mi/h WRT Earth. Assuming (incorrectly) they had this speed for the entire trip from the moon to Earth, what was the time difference for the trip between their clocks and clocks on Earth?

Given:
Velocity of Apollow WRT Earth: 25,000 mi/h

Assumed (I'm not sure if I'm actually supposed to use or assume this):
Distance from Earth to the moon: 238, 857 mi

Homework Equations

I believe I have solved for t (Earth's frame), but I'm having a problem solving for t' (Apollo's frame). If I'm doing the time dilation factor right, it would be either 1 or the square root of a negative number, so I'm not sure what to do with that.

The Attempt at a Solution

Earth's Frame:

t=L/v=238,857 mi/ 25000 mi/h=9.55428 h

Apollo's Frame:

t'=t/ɣ=9.55428 h*√(1-(25,000/c)²)=this doesn't work

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you use a value for c less than 25,000 miles per hour? Unless you made a mistake in your calculation, that's the only way to get the square root of a negative number.

I converted c=3e8 m/s to c=6.711e8 mi/h and when I put that into the equation, I get 1. Because I was getting 1, I looked at the class notes from this morning and saw that the professor omitted c and just used sqrt(1-(v^2)). When I do that, I get the negative obviously because v^2 is greater than 1.

kait said:
I converted c=3e8 m/s to c=6.711e8 mi/h and when I put that into the equation, I get 1. Because I was getting 1, I looked at the class notes from this morning and saw that the professor omitted c and just used sqrt(1-(v^2)). When I do that, I get the negative obviously because v^2 is greater than 1.

You get 1 because the dilation factor is so tiny. You need at least 11 significant figures to see the difference.

The professor uses sqrt(1-(v^2)) because he is using units in which c is equal to 1. In these units, the velocity of the spacecraft is about 3.7*10-5.

For small values of v, you can use
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2}} \approx 1 + v^2/2 \approx 1 + 6.86*10^{-10}[/tex]​

Cheers -- sylas

Where does the 6.86*10^-10 come from? Wouldn't I use 1+(v^2)/2=1+25,000^2/2=3.12*10^8.

Someone please help. I've gotten no sleep because of this problem. I just don't see/ understand what to do at this point in the problem.

kait said:
Where does the 6.86*10^-10 come from? Wouldn't I use 1+(v^2)/2=1+25,000^2/2=3.12*10^8.
Note that sylas's (and your professor's) v is really v/c. So find 1+(v/c)^2/2

When I use v/c, I get 1 because v is so much smaller than c. Is that the answer; the same as Earth's frame?

kait said:
When I use v/c, I get 1 because v is so much smaller than c. Is that the answer; the same as Earth's frame?
No. You're asked to find the time difference, which you can find using the formula sylas gave you. (Even though it's small.)

You should have no problem calculating v/c, then (v/c)^2/2.

For example: v = 25000 miles/hour = 11176 m/s = 1.12 x 104 m/s.
c = 3 x 108 m/s, so v/c = what?

Ok, (v/c)^2/2= 6.96889e-10, so the answer to my problem is 1+6.96889e-10

kait said:
Ok, (v/c)^2/2= 6.96889e-10, so the answer to my problem is 1+6.96889e-10

It's a start. You've got a gamma factor.

As a matter of general complaint about the question; it appears you are only considering the time difference from velocity; but given that the trip moves in and out of the gravitational fields, and given that most of it is in free fall, the special relativity calculation is really not adequate. But I don't think that is your fault.

I presume the question is intended to let you use a special relativity calculation. If so, you want the gamma factor -- which you have just calculated correctly -- and you have to use that somehow to get a time difference.

What else would you need, along with the time dilation factor, to get the difference in two clocks?

Cheers -- sylas

I would need the distance from the moon to the Earth which is 3.84*10^8 m and t=L/v=3.84*10^8/1.12*10^4=3.44*10^4 s. Then to find t', I would use t'=t/gamma and subtract t' from t? But then, I still end up with 3.44*10^4 s, which is t.

kait said:
I would need the distance from the moon to the Earth which is 3.84*10^8 m and t=L/v=3.84*10^8/1.12*10^4=3.44*10^4 s. Then to find t', I would use t'=t/gamma and subtract t' from t? But then, I still end up with 3.44*10^4 s, which is t.

That's a reasonable approach -- if we ignore all the issues with gravity and general relativity.

You are still seeming to do your calculations with a limited precision calculator and getting hung up because the effect is so much smaller than the total elapsed time.

Can you express the problem in algebra first? In this problem, using the approximation for the time dilation factor of 1 + (v/c)2/2 will give you the right answer. You've got the total time for the trip t. What is the value of t' - t, not as a number, but as an expression involving v?

Cheers -- sylas

Postscript. by the way... the approximation I am using can also be rearranged to be:
[tex]\sqrt{1-(v/c)^2} \approx 1 - (v/c)^2/2[/tex]​
which may be more convenient.

Last edited:

1. What is time dilation and why does it occur?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time passes at different rates for objects moving at different speeds or in different gravitational fields. This occurs due to the theory of relativity, which states that time is relative and can be affected by factors such as speed and gravity.

2. How does time dilation affect everyday life?

Time dilation has a very small effect on everyday life and is only noticeable at extremely high speeds or in intense gravitational fields. For example, a person traveling in a spacecraft at close to the speed of light would experience time passing slower than someone on Earth. However, this difference in time would be extremely small and would not have a significant impact on daily activities.

3. Can time dilation be observed or measured?

Yes, time dilation has been observed and measured through various experiments and observations. For example, the famous Hafele-Keating experiment in 1971 demonstrated time dilation by comparing the clocks of airplanes traveling in opposite directions around the Earth. Additionally, time dilation has also been observed through the use of atomic clocks on satellites.

4. Is time dilation the same as time travel?

No, time dilation and time travel are two different concepts. Time dilation refers to the different rates at which time passes for objects in different frames of reference, while time travel refers to the ability to move backwards or forwards in time. While time dilation allows for small changes in the perception of time, time travel is not currently possible according to our current understanding of physics.

5. How does time dilation impact our understanding of the universe?

Time dilation plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, particularly in the theory of relativity and the concept of spacetime. It has also been used to explain various phenomena such as the twin paradox and the redshift of light from distant galaxies. Time dilation has also been a key factor in the development of technologies such as GPS systems and atomic clocks.