1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stokes therem and Current

1. Aug 22, 2009 #1
    i am trying to solve this problem which states that

J(p) = (I/pi) p^2 e^-p^2 in z direction
    is the current density flowing in the vicinity of insulating wire.
    pi = pie

in standard spherical polar coordinates.

J is the current density.

I need to prove that the total current flowing through the wire is I.

I have tried to used the idea J.dS = I where

and integrate(i have taken the scale factor into consideration) but it does not yield the right result. Any suggestion on a way to move forward will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2009 #2

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are the limits of integration here? Still, I can't see how you can get a current of I because of your exponential, except if your relationship is incorrect.

[tex]J(\rho)=\frac{I}{\pi}e^{-\rho^2}[/tex]

If we have a wire of infinite size then this one would work, but this is just playing around.

4. Aug 22, 2009 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

You missed a factor of [itex]\rho^2[/itex]:

[tex]J(\rho)=\frac{I}{\pi} \rho^2 e^{-\rho^2}[/tex]

5. Aug 23, 2009 #4

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's his original equation yes, whose integral over the cross-sectional area of the wire I think will be

[tex]I(\rho)=-I_0e^{-\rho^2}(\rho^2+1)+I_0[/tex]

Seeing as the OP has not given us the dimensions of the wire we can't go any further than that but I do not see how any normal choice of radius would allow the current to come out to be exactly I_0. I was just mentioning that if the \rho^2 dependence was dropped then, the integral would come out provided an infinite radius but as I stated I was not seriously suggesting that was an answer.

Another question is what does Stokes' Theorem have to do with the problem. I feel that there were some steps leading up to this point that the OP may have left out.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook