Stokes's Theorem and the Right Hand Rule

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of a surface integral for a given vector field over a 2D surface. It is noted that there is no reason for the integral to be positive, as it depends on the chosen normal direction. The use of the variable \rho in the integral is explained as it represents the radius in cylindrical polar coordinates. The topic of changing the unit vector to obtain a positive answer is also mentioned, with the conclusion that a negative answer simply means the net flux is in the opposite direction. Finally, the correct radius of the disc is clarified to be 2, and the student expresses gratitude for the help.
BOAS

Homework Statement

For [itex]\mathbf{F} = y \mathbf{i} - x \mathbf{j} + 4z \mathbf{k}[/itex] evaluate the surface integral of [itex](\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) · k[/itex] over the 2D surface of the disc [itex]x^{2} + y^{2} \leq 4, z = \frac{H}{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure of my answer to this question for a few reasons.

1. Does it make sense for my answer to be negative? I thought we usually choose the unit vector such that the answer comes out to be positive, but it was chosen for me here.

2. Is the 'z' information only relevant to performing the closed loop integral?

My working:

[itex]\nabla \times \mathbf{F} = -2 \mathbf{k}[/itex]

[itex](\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) · k = -2[/itex]

[itex]\int_{s}(\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) · k = \int^{2\pi}_{0} \int^{4}_{0} -2 \rho d\rho d\phi[/itex]

[itex]\int_{s}(\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) · k = (\int^{4}_{0} -2 \rho d\rho)(\int^{2\pi}_{0} d\phi)[/itex]

[itex]\int_{s}(\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) · k = [-\rho^{2}]^{4}_{0} [\phi]^{2\pi}_{0} = -32\pi[/itex]

Also, should it be [itex](-\rho)^2[/itex] or [itex]-(\rho^2)[/itex]? The former would solve my problem of having a negative answer, but I'm not sure...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There certainly is no reason why an integral should not be negative but perhaps I don't understand what problem you are trying to solve. Where did that "[itex]\rho[/itex]" come from in the integral? There is no "[itex]\rho[/itex]" in your statement of the problem.

BOAS said:
Does it make sense for my answer to be negative? I thought we usually choose the unit vector such that the answer comes out to be positive, but it was chosen for me here.
There is nothing wrong with getting a negative flux integral. It just means the net flux is in the opposite direction from the chosen normal direction.

BOAS said:
Is the 'z' information only relevant to performing the closed loop integral?
Exactly what do you mean by "the z information"? Given the vector field, it would not matter which z the loop was at, but this may not be true for a different vector field.

BOAS said:
Also, should it be (−ρ)2(-\rho)^2 or −(ρ2)-(\rho^2)? The former would solve my problem of having a negative answer, but I'm not sure...

First of all, you should check your integration boundaries in the radial direction ... You should also be able to tell from your original expression whether or not the integral should be negative and from the value of curl(F) what it should be.

Orodruin said:
There is nothing wrong with getting a negative flux integral. It just means the net flux is in the opposite direction from the chosen normal direction.

Ok, I thought so but wanted to be sure.
Orodruin said:
Exactly what do you mean by "the z information"? Given the vector field, it would not matter which z the loop was at, but this may not be true for a different vector field.

I mean the height at which the disk is located above the x-y plane.

Orodruin said:
First of all, you should check your integration boundaries in the radial direction ... You should also be able to tell from your original expression whether or not the integral should be negative and from the value of curl(F) what it should be.

It's a disk of radius 4. Am I wrong in thinking that this means I need to integrate between 0 and 4 in the radial direction?

By my 'original expression' are you referring to the vector field or (curl F).k?

BOAS said:
It's a disk of radius 4. Am I wrong in thinking that this means I need to integrate between 0 and 4 in the radial direction?

You are wrong in thinking it is a disk of radius 4 ...

BOAS said:
By my 'original expression' are you referring to the vector field or (curl F).k?
I am referring to the integrand of your integral.

Orodruin said:
You are wrong in thinking it is a disk of radius 4 ...I am referring to the integrand of your integral.

Ah, yes it's a disk of radius 2.

I can see from my integrand that my answer will be negative - I was just checking that in instances like this, it's not necessary to change my unit vector to get a positive answer.

HallsofIvy said:
There certainly is no reason why an integral should not be negative but perhaps I don't understand what problem you are trying to solve. Where did that "[itex]\rho[/itex]" come from in the integral? There is no "[itex]\rho[/itex]" in your statement of the problem.

[itex]\rho[/itex] is the radius, from cylindrical polar coordinates.

[itex]x^2 + y^2 = \rho^2[/itex]

[itex]dA = \rho d\rho d\phi[/itex]

BOAS said:
I was just checking that in instances like this, it's not necessary to change my unit vector to get a positive answer.
Then, as I mentioned, there is no a priori reason you should get a positive answer to a flux integral. A negative answer just means the net flux is in the opposite direction.

Orodruin said:
Then, as I mentioned, there is no a priori reason you should get a positive answer to a flux integral. A negative answer just means the net flux is in the opposite direction.

Thank you for your help :)

What is Stokes's Theorem?

Stokes's Theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of the surface.

What is the right hand rule?

The right hand rule is a method used to determine the direction of a vector resulting from a cross product. It states that if the index finger, middle finger, and thumb of the right hand are extended and the index finger points in the direction of the first vector, and the middle finger in the direction of the second vector, then the thumb will point in the direction of the resulting vector.

How is Stokes's Theorem related to the right hand rule?

Stokes's Theorem is often used in conjunction with the right hand rule to solve problems involving the circulation and flux of vector fields. The right hand rule helps to determine the correct orientation of the surface and the direction of the line integral in Stokes's Theorem.

What are some applications of Stokes's Theorem and the right hand rule?

Stokes's Theorem and the right hand rule have many applications in physics and engineering, such as in electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and solid mechanics. They are also used in geometric and topological calculations, such as in the study of surfaces and manifolds.

Are there any limitations or exceptions to Stokes's Theorem and the right hand rule?

Stokes's Theorem is only applicable to closed surfaces and the right hand rule may not be applicable in certain cases, such as when dealing with non-vector quantities. Additionally, the right hand rule may not hold if the coordinate system is flipped or if the vectors are not orthogonal. Careful consideration and understanding of the concepts is necessary to avoid any limitations or exceptions.