Why Is the Inverse of Time Used to Measure Reaction Rate?

• Thread starter ash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the speed of a reaction is proportional to the rate constant, which is a number that is determined using derivatives.
ash
Could someone please explain to me why it is valid to use the inverse of time as a measure of the rate of a reaction? Thanks for any help!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ash said:
Could someone please explain to me why it is valid to use the inverse of time as a measure of the rate of a reaction? Thanks for any help!

Any spped has time in denominator, they differ by numerators only. And numerators are selected so that definition is general and convinient to use.

Chemical calculators for labs and education
BATE - pH calculations, titration curves, hydrolisis

Thanks for replying Borek but I still don't really understand.

ash said:
Thanks for replying Borek but I still don't really understand.

Speed of the car is a distance covered in time, so it is km/h (or m/s or anything else) - which is length times inverse of time. Length has unit that is in the numerator.

Now, for the chemical reaction distance to cover can be expressed as fraction - 0 for the starting point, 1 for the and. Speed of the reaction is "fraction of the reaction/time" - fraction time inverse of time. But fraction of the reaction is unitless - so what is left is just inverse of time.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, I have not touched kinetics for 20 years

Chemical calculators for labs and education
BATE - pH calculations, titration curves, hydrolisis

Any rate is measured per unit time. This can be anything from kilometers per hour to revolutions per minute (rpm) to dollars earned per hour. To turn any of those words into math symbols, you would write the event you're measuring (kilometers traveled, revolutions turned, dollars earned) as the numerator and the time elapsed as the denominator, such as km/h. So, reaction rate is just another rate. The event being measured is the change in concentration of a product and you are measuring that per unit time. This is a simplified way of looking at it.

Since I'm not sure whether you are learning this in high school or college, have you had any calculus yet? If so, reaction rate is really determined using derivatives to calculate the slope of the tangent to the plot of concentration of product over time. If you haven't had calculus yet and that sentence sounds like it was written in a foreign language, just ignore it for now, you'll get to it in a more advanced class.

Let's say A --> B. We can measure the rates of rxn by the amount time this rxn is in state A. If it's in state A for 5 sec and the reaction rate is 1 process / 5 sec or 0.2 / sec.

Rate of reaction in this case refers to instantaneous rate. The instantaneous rate at any time for a curve where the y-axis represents change in concentration and the x-axis represents time, is simply the tangent line of the curve at the specific point in time; now the smallest change in the concentration value that can be achieved pertains to one reaction.

[tex]f^{'} (x)=lim_{h->0} \frac{(f(x+h)-f(x)}{ [\Delta x] } [/tex]

Last edited:
For an n-th order reaction :

[tex]\frac {dx}{dt} = -kx^n [/tex]

[tex]=>~\frac{dx}{x^n} = -kdt [/tex]

[tex]=>~\frac{x^{1-n}}{1-n} = -kt + C~,~~n \not{=} 1 [/tex]

[tex]=>~kt = [/tex]some number

[tex]Or,~1/t ~~\alpha ~~k [/tex]

[tex]n=1~=>~kt = ln(x_0/x)~=>1/t~~ \alpha~~ k [/tex]

To sum up, 1/t is always proportional to the rate constant (being loose with additive constants).

Last edited:
Thanks for your help everyone!:)

Related to Why Is the Inverse of Time Used to Measure Reaction Rate?

What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance that cannot be broken down into simpler substances by chemical means. Compounds, on the other hand, are made up of two or more elements chemically combined in a fixed ratio.

What is the periodic table and why is it important?

The periodic table is a tabular arrangement of all known chemical elements, organized by their atomic structure and properties. It is important because it allows scientists to easily identify and study the properties and trends of different elements, as well as predict the behavior of unknown elements.

What is the difference between a physical change and a chemical change?

A physical change is a change in the physical properties of a substance, such as its shape or state, without altering its chemical composition. A chemical change, on the other hand, involves the rearrangement of atoms and results in the formation of new substances with different properties.

What is the difference between an acid and a base?

An acid is a substance that donates hydrogen ions in a solution, while a base is a substance that accepts hydrogen ions. Acids have a pH less than 7 and taste sour, while bases have a pH greater than 7 and taste bitter. They also have opposite properties, such as acids being corrosive and bases being slippery.

Why do atoms form bonds with each other?

Atoms form bonds with each other in order to achieve a more stable electron configuration. This can be achieved by either sharing or transferring electrons between atoms. By forming bonds, atoms can reach a lower energy state and become more chemically stable.