How Do You Calculate the Ramp Angle with a 50N Force?

In summary, the work required to raise two 10 kg boxes 2.0m to a shelf is 196J. The angle between the ramp and the ground can be calculated using the formula W=mg(sin theta), where W is the work, m is the mass of the box, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and theta is the angle between the ramp and the ground.
vongola13th

Homework Statement

Two boxes each mass 10 kg are raised 2.0m to a shelf. The first one is lifted and second one
is pushed up a smooth ramp(frictionless). If the applied force on the second box is 50N, calculator the angle between the ramp
and the ground

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Got work of the first box
(10)(9.8)(2)=W
=196J
Don't know what to do with it, tried 198=50(2)sintheta, but that won't work. Please show full solution, lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
vongola13th said:

(10)(9.8)(2)=W
=196J
Don't know what to do with it, tried 198=50(2)sintheta, but that won't work. Please show full solution, lost.

You'd need to account for the component of the 10 kg weight opposing the 50 N force.

Remember that sine = opposite/hypotenuse

so the distance the mass is sliding up the ramp is the hypotenuse.

[strike]You can determine the force to raise the first box via F=mg right?

The same amount of vertical force is needed to raise the second box on the ramp.

So try drawing a force diagram of a force pushing/pulling a block up a ramp.[/strike]

EDIT: disregard this post... see followon post on ramp mechanical advantage

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
You can determine the force to raise the first box via F=mg right?

The same amount of vertical force is needed to raise the second box on the ramp.

So try drawing a force diagram of a force pushing/pulling a block up a ramp.

so the force requried to life the first box is 98N,
so 98=sin(90)
=98

what about the other one, it wouldn't be 50=sintheta right?

jedishrfu said:
Try reading about mechanical advantage from ramps in this article:

http://www.teachengineering.org/vie..._simp_machines/cub_simp_machines_lesson01.xml

I think now you were on the right track with the work calculation for lifting and now with the ramp's assistance you can use less force to do the same work.

Here's a freebody diagram that may help too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Free_body.svg

Yea I looked at it and do I'm still lost, could you please tell me how to find it

vongola13th said:
Yea I looked at it and do I'm still lost, could you please tell me how to find it

We're here to help you when you get stuck not to do your homework. You need to show more work before we can help. I think what I gave would be sufficient to solve the problem.

jedishrfu said:
We're here to help you when you get stuck not to do your homework. You need to show more work before we can help. I think what I gave would be sufficient to solve the problem.

okay sorry, I figured out 196J=fxd
196=50*d
3.92=d
I now have the opposite and the hyp. I did sin^-1(2/3.92)=30degrees
I double checked it with 50*3.92*cos30degrees= 168J
This is not the 196 joules needed, where did I go wrong?

vongola13th said:
okay sorry, I figured out 196J=fxd
196=50*d
3.92=d
I now have the opposite and the hyp. I did sin^-1(2/3.92)=30degrees
I double checked it with 50*3.92*cos30degrees= 168J
This is not the 196 joules needed, where did I go wrong?

I think your check is wrong. How did you come up with it?

jedishrfu said:
I think your check is wrong. How did you come up with it?
Since I know the formula for work W=Fxdcostheta, I wanted to make sure the that about of work would be the same as for the case of the ramp and the case of the box being lifted up 90degrees. I figured that the side length must be 3.92 and used that as they hyp. I used sin to figure out the angle then checked it with that angle, but the work was 168 instead of the needed 196. I don't know what I did wrong. could you point it out?

vongola13th said:
Since I know the formula for work W=Fxdcostheta
But it isn't.

The "formula" is always W=Fd, where F is the force and d is the distance moved in the direction of that force. The formula never varies from this.

You have a force acting along the slope here. What is its magnitude, and through what distance does the point of application of that force move?

Your only "mistake" is to have become too complacent in your use of that "formula". :wink:

Stay alert, or you'll be tripped up. Again, and when you least expect it. :smile:

Sketch out the information you know with pen and paper. That way any assignment will become much less difficult to tackle.
Calculate the hypotenuse, which is the distance the 2nd box is being pushed up to reach the shelf.

On your sketch, mark every force you know of, that is acting on the 2nd box. There is gravity, the force it is being pushed by and the force the surface of the ramp is exerting on the box and luckily you won't have to account for friction.
If you think about it, the surface of the ramp does work as well all the way the box is being pushed. A = Fs or W=Fd if you prefer. What is the force the ramp is exerting on the box?

Also, do you understand why you are equating the potential energy of the 1st box already on the shelf to the work done by the force pushing the 2nd box to reach the shelf?

vongola13th said:

Homework Statement

Two boxes each mass 10 kg are raised 2.0m to a shelf. The first one is lifted and second one
is pushed up a smooth ramp(frictionless). If the applied force on the second box is 50N, calculator the angle between the ramp
and the ground

Homework Equations

n/a

(10)(9.8)(2)=W
=196J

The work that you have to do is

[itex]\textit{W}[/itex]= [itex]\textit{m}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]\textit{g}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]\textit{h}[/itex] = [itex]\textit{50}[/itex][itex]\cdot\frac{\textit{h}}{\textit{sin Θ}}[/itex]

1. What is strange physics?

Strange physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of strange particles and phenomena, specifically those related to the strong nuclear force and the behavior of subatomic particles. It involves studying the properties, interactions, and behavior of particles that do not fit into the standard model of particle physics.

2. What are some examples of strange particles?

Some examples of strange particles include the kaon, lambda baryon, and pion. These particles are considered strange because they contain a strange quark, which is a type of quark that has a relatively long lifetime and exhibits unique properties compared to other quarks.

3. How does strange physics relate to the standard model of particle physics?

Strange physics is a crucial aspect of the standard model of particle physics. The standard model explains the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe, and strange physics helps fill in some of the gaps and anomalies that cannot be explained by the standard model alone.

4. What are some potential applications of strange physics?

Some potential applications of strange physics include developing new technologies, such as nuclear fusion energy and quantum computing, as well as furthering our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature. It can also help us explore the universe and its origins, as strange particles were abundant in the early stages of the universe.

5. How can strange physics impact our daily lives?

While strange physics may seem abstract and unrelated to our daily lives, it has played a significant role in developing technologies and applications that we use every day. For example, medical imaging techniques, such as PET scans, rely on strange particles to produce images of the body's internal structures. Strange physics also plays a role in understanding the properties of matter, which can have practical applications in materials science and engineering.