Calculating Work to Compression a Spring 4.08cm with 718N Force"

• Thread starter kdizzle711
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, to stretch a spring 3.09cm from its unstretched length, 11.1j of work must be done. To compress the spring 4.08cm from its unstretched length, 14.6j of work must be done. The equation W=(1/2)kx2^2-(1/2)kx1^2 is used to find the work done in compressing the spring.
kdizzle711
To stretch a spring a distance 3.09cm from its unstretched length, an amount of work of11.1j must be done. How much work must be done to compress this spring a distance 4.08 from its unstretched length?

I have been using the equation
k=Fx/x
W=(1/2)kx2^2-(1/2)kx1^2

11.1=(1/2)(Fx/.0309)*(.0309^2)-(0)
Fx=718N

So I plug 718N into
W=(1/2)(718/.0408)*(.0408^2)
I get 14.6 but it is still not the right answer someone please help

Physics news on Phys.org
You've put in an unneeded extra step here in solving for F, and in so doing, you have made in error in your last equation. If you solved that k = 718/.0309 in the first step, why are you using k=718/.0408 in the other? The k must be the same.

kdizzle711 said:
I have been using the equation
k=Fx/x
You won't need this, since you don't care about the force.
W=(1/2)kx2^2-(1/2)kx1^2
You'll need this.

First step: Use the data for the 3.09 cm stretch to find k.

Thank you, I didnt even notice that

1. How do you calculate the work done to compress a spring?

The work done to compress a spring can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the spring by the distance the spring is compressed. This can be written as W = F * d, where W is the work, F is the force, and d is the distance.

2. What is the formula for determining the force required to compress a spring a certain distance?

The formula for determining the force required to compress a spring a certain distance is F = k * x, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is compressed.

3. How do you convert the given force from newtons to pounds?

To convert the given force from newtons to pounds, you can use the conversion factor 1N = 0.22481lbs. Simply multiply the given force by this conversion factor to get the force in pounds.

4. What is the unit for work in the context of spring compression?

The unit for work in the context of spring compression is joules (J). This is the standard unit of measurement for work and is equivalent to kg*m^2/s^2.

5. Can you use this formula for any type of spring?

The formula for calculating work to compress a spring can be used for any type of spring as long as the spring follows Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is compressed. However, the spring constant (k) will vary depending on the type and characteristics of the spring being used.