Strength of the electric field

In summary: What do you need to know about the y component?In summary, the electric field at the position indicated by the dot in the figure is strong in the direction indicated by the angle above the horizontal line.
rayhan619

Homework Statement

a) What is the strength of the electric field at the position indicated by the dot in the figure?
b) What is the direction of the electric field at the position indicated by the dot in the figure? Specify the direction as an angle above the horizontal line.
Figure attached

Homework Equations

E = Kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought strength of the electric field on both side would be same and the net strength would be O
then I calculated the distance from the point to the charge using Pythagoras theorem and then using the above equation which give me E as 1836 N/C. so for both side it would be 1836*2 = 3673 N/C

but the answer was wrong?
where did I mess up?

Physics news on Phys.org
rayhan619 said:
a) What is the strength of the electric field at the position indicated by the dot in the figure?
Figure attached

where did I mess up?

I'm wondering the same thing.

ya i tried both 0 and 3.6*10^3
but didnt work

Well let's see here.

There's no figure.
There's no calculations.
There's no real description of what you are trying to calculate.

Can you imagine the difficulties others might have in trying to help you yet?

sorry i thought i attached the figure.

using Pythagoras theorem i figured out the distance from the point to the charge which is 7.07 cm = 0.07 m

and then i used the equation,
E = kq/r^2 = (9*10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(1*10^9 C)/(0.07 m)^2 = 1836.7 N/C
so for both side it would be 2*1836.7 N/C

sorry for the inconvenience.

Attachments

• jfk.Figure.20.P24.jpg
    jfk.Figure.20.P24.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 3,772
I can't see the figure yet. So do you have multiple charges? Can you describe it a little more?

ya i have two charges with with +1 nC charge which is 10 cm away from each other. there is a poitn in the middle 5 cm away. its like a triangle. they ask me to measure the strength and direction of the electric field.

Kinda look like this. I have attached the pic in last reply

O +1 nC
5 cm
------5cm----- o
5 cm
O +1 nC

Well there's the problem.

Remember the E field is a vector field. When using superposition you can't just add the |E| of both vectors.

Add x,y components only.

how do we figure out x component?

rayhan619 said:
how do we figure out x component?

You have the angle for both E's

1. What is the definition of electric field strength?

The electric field strength is a physical quantity that describes the strength of an electric field at a given point. It is a measure of the force experienced by a positive test charge placed at that point in the electric field.

2. How is electric field strength calculated?

The electric field strength is calculated by dividing the force experienced by a test charge placed in the electric field by the size of the test charge. It is represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the test charge.

3. What units is electric field strength measured in?

Electric field strength is measured in volts per meter (V/m) in the SI (International System of Units) system. In other systems, it may also be measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C) or newtons per charge (N/q).

4. How does distance affect electric field strength?

Electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of the electric field. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases. This relationship is represented by the equation E ∝ 1/r², where E is the electric field strength and r is the distance.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric field strength?

Electric field strength is an important concept in many areas of science and technology. It is used in the design of electrical systems, such as power grids and electronic circuits. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as electrocardiograms (ECGs) and electroencephalograms (EEGs). Additionally, electric field strength is utilized in the development of technologies such as wireless charging and electromagnetic propulsion.