Stress Energy Tensor - Confusion about signs and metrics

In summary, the speaker is working on deriving Friedmann's Equations from the Einstein Field Equations, using the FLRW metric with c=1 and signature (-,+,+,+). They are having trouble with the spatial indices of the stress energy tensor, specifically how it changes with raised and lowered indices. They mention seeing different forms of the stress energy tensor, but are unsure which one to use. They receive helpful information from another person and determine that the spatial components of the stress energy tensor can be expressed as P times the scale factor squared.
Allday
Hi everyone. I'm working on deriving Friedmanns Equations from the Einstein Field Equations. I've got the '00' components worked out but I'm having some trouble with the spatial indices 'ii' of the stress energy tensor ## T_{ii} ##. I'm the FLRW metric with c=1 and signature (-,+,+,+) so that ##g_{\mu \nu} = (-1,a^2,a^2,a^2) ##. My question is what is the stress energy tensor for a perfect fluid and how does it change with raised and lowered indices. I know how the metric operates to raise and lower indices but I don't know what to start with for ## T_{ii} ##. For example, I've seen

$$ T^{\alpha \beta} = diag(\rho,P,P,P) $$

but also the same thing for ## T^{\alpha}_{\beta} ##. The trouble comes in with factors of the scale factor ## a ## when I try to calculate the diagonal spatial components for Einsteins Field Equations. For example if ## T^{\alpha \beta} = diag(\rho,P,P,P) ## then ## T_{ii} ## gets two factors from the metric meaning ## T_{ii} = P a^4 ##. Is that correct? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Allday

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Thanks yenchin, those notes do help. It seems I want to use the form
$$ T_{\alpha \beta} = (\rho + P) u_{\alpha} u_{\beta} + P g_{\alpha \beta} $$
along with the fact that the spatial components of ##u_{\alpha} ## are zero so that with my choice of metric sign convention
$$ T_{i i} = P a^2 $$

1. What is a stress-energy tensor?

A stress-energy tensor is a mathematical object used in the theory of general relativity to describe the distribution of matter and energy in space. It is a symmetric 4x4 matrix that contains 10 independent components, each representing a different aspect of the stress and energy present in a given region of space.

2. How is the stress-energy tensor related to stress and energy?

The stress-energy tensor combines the concepts of stress and energy into a single mathematical object. The stress-energy tensor's components represent the energy density, momentum density, and stress (pressure and shear) in a given region of space. This allows the tensor to describe the overall distribution of matter and energy in a more comprehensive way than individual stress and energy terms.

3. Why is there confusion about signs and metrics in the stress-energy tensor?

The stress-energy tensor can be represented using different conventions and notations, which can lead to confusion about the signs and metrics used in its components. Additionally, the signs and metrics used in the stress-energy tensor can also depend on the specific equations and theories being used, which can further contribute to confusion.

4. How is the stress-energy tensor used in general relativity?

In general relativity, the stress-energy tensor is used as a source term in the Einstein field equations, which describe the curvature of spacetime in the presence of matter and energy. The stress-energy tensor describes the distribution of matter and energy, which affects the curvature of spacetime and, in turn, the motion of objects in that region of space.

5. What are some applications of the stress-energy tensor?

The stress-energy tensor has many applications in physics, including in general relativity, cosmology, and quantum field theory. It is used to model the behavior of matter and energy in a variety of contexts, such as the evolution of the universe, the dynamics of black holes, and the interactions of particles in the quantum world. It is also essential in understanding the properties of gravitational waves and the behavior of matter under extreme conditions.