Proving Effects of Stress-Energy Tensor on Curvature

In summary: Einstein field equation?2) So, the change of mass causes the change of curvature in local spacetime.In summary, according to the author, the change of body mass causes the change of curvature in local spacetime.
VladZH
Hi everyone. Could you help me to find the way to prove some things?
1)Changing of body velocity or reference frame don't contribute to spacetime curvature
2)On the contrary the change of body mass causes the change of curvature in local spacetime

I use the assumption that if we have the same tensor in the right part of Einstein field equation the curvature remains the same and changes othwerwise
$$R_{\mu \nu} - {1 \over 2}g_{\mu \nu}\,R + g_{\mu \nu} \Lambda =
{8 \pi G \over c^4} T_{\mu \nu}$$

My suggestion is:
1) Let a body with some velocity has stress-energy tensor ##T##. Then in another reference frame let the body stress-energy tensor be ##T'##. As stress-energy tensor is invariant we should get the same tensor but different coordiantes when changing velocity or reference frame . Will it be the proof if I manage to find ##\Lambda## from the following equation and show that it is a linear transformation
$$T_{\mu' \nu'}'={\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\mu'} {\Lambda^{\nu}}_{\nu'} T_{\mu \nu}.$$
2) Let a body be stationary and has some mass. Its stress-energy tensor is ##T##. Then we change the mass of a body and get ##T'## for its stress-energy tensor. So we should have ##T \neq T'##. Can I use the previous equation here to prove this?

Can this work? Or I need to use the Riemann tensor and Richi scalar in the left part Einstein field equation?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
VladZH said:
Hi everyone. Could you help me to find the way to prove some things?
1)Changing of body velocity or reference frame don't contribute to spacetime curvature
2)On the contrary the change of body mass causes the change of curvature in local spacetime

I use the assumption that if we have the same tensor in the right part of Einstein field equation the curvature remains the same and changes othwerwise
$$R_{\mu \nu} - {1 \over 2}g_{\mu \nu}\,R + g_{\mu \nu} \Lambda =
{8 \pi G \over c^4} T_{\mu \nu}$$

My suggestion is:
1) Let a body with some velocity has stress-energy tensor ##T##. Then in another reference frame let the body stress-energy tensor be ##T'##. As stress-energy tensor is invariant we should get the same tensor but different coordiantes when changing velocity or reference frame . Will it be the proof if I manage to find ##\Lambda## from the following equation and show that it is a linear transformation
$$T_{\mu' \nu'}'={\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\mu'} {\Lambda^{\nu}}_{\nu'} T_{\mu \nu}.$$

All tensors are covariant, so the Riemann tensor (which is what I assume you mean by the space-time curvature tensor) is covariant just because it's a tensor, and so by defintion it's covariant. (I think you mean covariant rather than what you wrote, which is invariant).

This may or may not be what you mean when you say "Changing of body velocity or reference frame don't contribute to spacetime curvature". But I'm not quite sure what this English-language statement above means, it seems to me you need to decide for yourself if the more mathemmatical statement yous make (which are clear and unambiguous) are equivalent to the fuzzy and not-so-clear English language statements you make.
2) Let a body be stationary and has some mass. Its stress-energy tensor is ##T##. Then we change the mass of a body and get ##T'## for its stress-energy tensor.

The question you need to ask yourself, and perhaps do a bit of research on, is this. Is the mass of a body a tensor? In this context, it's important to distinguish tensors from pseudotensors.

I'll give you a hint without a lengthly justification. The answer is basically "no", we don't have a "mass tensor".

pervect said:
All tensors are covariant, so the Riemann tensor (which is what I assume you mean by the space-time curvature tensor) is covariant just because it's a tensor, and so by defintion it's covariant. (I think you mean covariant rather than what you wrote, which is invariant).
I'm talking about covariance. I'm talking about the main property of tensors - invariance under coordinate transformation.
pervect said:
This may or may not be what you mean when you say "Changing of body velocity or reference frame don't contribute to spacetime curvature". But I'm not quite sure what this English-language statement above means, it seems to me you need to decide for yourself if the more mathemmatical statement yous make (which are clear and unambiguous) are equivalent to the fuzzy and not-so-clear English language statements you make.
Saying "Changing of body velocity or reference frame don't contribute to spacetime curvature" I mean the following:
Stress-energy tensor components are different momenta. They, in turn, include components of 4-vector as here
$$T^{\alpha\beta}({\bf x},t) = \gamma m v^\alpha v^\beta$$
1)The change of ##v^\alpha## leads to the change of some coordinates of the tensor ##T##.
I make an assumtion here: if ##T## becomes a new tensor ##T'## then it affects the Riemann tensor in the left part of Einstein field equation. But as we know change of frame reference shouldn't change the curvature that is Riemann tensor in the left part.
2) The change of ##m## similarly affects ##T## components. So I want to show here that changing of ##m## -> changing of ##T## i. e gives us a new ##T'##-> changing of ##R##, i.e gives us a new ##R'##

VladZH said:
I'm talking about covariance.
Sorry. I'm not talking about covariance

VladZH said:
Sorry. I'm not talking about covariance
VladZH said:
I'm talking about the main property of tensors - invariance under coordinate transformation.
Then you are, simply put, wrong. The main point about tensor equations is that they are covariant under coordinate transformations. If you will, tensors themselves are invariant objects without any reference to any coordinate system, but once you start looking at their components and coordinate transformations, it is all about how the components transform. And they do transform and hence are not invariant. Changing coordinate (i.e., changing reference frame) does change the components of a tensor. However, it does not change the values of invariants such as the scalar curvature.

Orodruin said:
Then you are, simply put, wrong. The main point about tensor equations is that they are covariant under coordinate transformations. If you will, tensors themselves are invariant objects without any reference to any coordinate system, but once you start looking at their components and coordinate transformations, it is all about how the components transform. And they do transform and hence are not invariant. Changing coordinate (i.e., changing reference frame) does change the components of a tensor. However, it does not change the values of invariants such as the scalar curvature.
Ok, I see my approach is wrong. What are the approches to show that change of mass affects the curvature and change of velocity does not? How can we use Einstein field equation here?

1. What is the stress-energy tensor and how does it relate to curvature?

The stress-energy tensor is a mathematical object used in the theory of general relativity to describe the distribution of matter and energy in spacetime. It relates to curvature through Einstein's field equations, which state that the curvature of spacetime is directly proportional to the stress-energy tensor.

2. How is stress-energy tensor measured or calculated?

The stress-energy tensor is calculated using the equations of motion and energy-momentum conservation. It can also be measured using various physical quantities such as energy density, pressure, and momentum flux.

3. What are the effects of stress-energy tensor on curvature?

The stress-energy tensor determines the curvature of spacetime through its contribution to the Einstein field equations. It describes the gravitational effects of matter and energy, such as the bending of light and the warping of space.

4. Can the effects of stress-energy tensor on curvature be observed or tested?

Yes, the effects of stress-energy tensor on curvature have been observed and tested through various experiments and observations. For example, the bending of starlight by the Sun's gravitational field is a direct result of the stress-energy tensor.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding the effects of stress-energy tensor on curvature?

Understanding the effects of stress-energy tensor on curvature is crucial in the study of general relativity and cosmology. It has also led to practical applications such as the development of GPS technology and the detection of gravitational waves.