Stress of a material with a core

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the stress in a rod with a steel core and aluminum shell when it is subjected to a temperature change. The question is raised about how to do this when the materials are different. The solution is to equate the deformations of both materials. Attempting to find the stress separately for each material may lead to an incorrect answer.
joeblow
If I have a rod with a steel core bonded to an aluminum shell, how can I find the stress in the rod when it is subjected to a temperature change?

I know how to find the stress due to temp change if the tool is made of the same material throughout, but how do I do it if there are two?

I attempted to find the loads induced by the temp changes for the two materials separately, add them, then find the stress that way, but this led to an incorrect answer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Figured it out. PROTIP: Equate the deformations of both materials.

What is the stress of a material with a core?

The stress of a material with a core refers to the force applied per unit area on the surface of the material. This force can be caused by external factors, such as weight or pressure, or internal factors, such as thermal expansion or chemical reactions.

How is the stress of a material with a core calculated?

The stress of a material with a core is calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the material. This gives the stress in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m2).

What factors can affect the stress of a material with a core?

The stress of a material with a core can be affected by a variety of factors, including the material's composition, shape, size, and temperature. External factors, such as applied forces and environmental conditions, can also impact the stress of a material.

How does the stress of a material with a core affect its strength?

The stress of a material with a core is directly related to its strength. If the stress exceeds the strength of the material, it can lead to deformation or failure. Therefore, understanding and controlling stress is crucial for ensuring the structural integrity and durability of a material.

What are some common methods for reducing stress in materials with a core?

Some common methods for reducing stress in materials with a core include using materials with higher strength and stiffness, altering the shape or size of the material, and applying protective coatings or layers. Thermal treatments, such as annealing or quenching, can also help reduce stress in certain materials.