Is My Approach to Calculating Weld Stress Correct?

• Thread starter delsloww88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stress
In summary, the speaker is asking for confirmation on their approach to calculating the stress on welds in a diagram of a pressure vessel. They mention that this is for a larger school project and share their attempt at the calculation. They are seeking feedback on their approach.
delsloww88
I need someone to tell me if I am approaching this in the right way. In my diagram I tried to show a section view of a wall of a pressure vessel with a cylindrical plug welded into a hole in that wall. I am trying find the stress on the welds in question. This is a small part of a larger project I am working on for school, I am just trying to figure out if my approach is right. See my attempt below. Thank you.
Clipboard04.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Anybody?

delsloww88 said:
I need someone to tell me if I am approaching this in the right way. In my diagram I tried to show a section view of a wall of a pressure vessel with a cylindrical plug welded into a hole in that wall. I am trying find the stress on the welds in question. This is a small part of a larger project I am working on for school, I am just trying to figure out if my approach is right. See my attempt below. Thank you.
View attachment 83388
Your calculation of the stress in the weld looks OK.

Thanks

What is "stress on weld calc" and why is it important?

"Stress on weld calc" refers to the calculation of the amount of stress that is placed on a weld during the welding process. This calculation is important because it helps ensure the structural integrity and safety of the welded joint.

How is "stress on weld calc" calculated?

The calculation of stress on weld involves taking into account factors such as the material properties of the welded parts, the welding process used, and the design of the joint. This calculation can be complex and may require specialized software or formulas.

What are the potential consequences of not properly calculating stress on a weld?

If stress on a weld is not properly calculated, it can lead to weak or failed welds, which can compromise the structural integrity of a welded joint. This can result in accidents, injuries, and costly repairs.

How can welders minimize stress on welds?

Welders can minimize stress on welds by carefully selecting the appropriate welding process and parameters for the materials being welded, ensuring proper fit-up and alignment of the parts, and using proper welding techniques to minimize distortion and residual stresses.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when calculating stress on welds?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety precautions while working with welding equipment, as well as ensuring that the structural integrity and safety of the welded joint is not compromised by the welding process. This may include using proper personal protective equipment, performing regular inspections, and following industry standards and guidelines.