What Minimum Diameter Must a Brass Wire Have to Withstand 350 N of Tension?

• Thread starter GrandLuxor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary, the problem is determining the minimum diameter of a brass wire that can withstand a tensile force of 350 N without breaking. Only two variables are known: the force applied and the Young's modulus for brass. Without knowing the stretch or length of the wire, it may not be solvable unless the ultimate breaking tensile stress of brass is provided. Using the original area, the equation for Young's modulus can be used to find the minimum diameter.
GrandLuxor
1. The Problem...

A brass wire is to withstand a tensile force of 350 N without breaking. What minimum diameter must the wire have?

Given Quantity: Young's modulus for brass = 9.0 * 10^10

2. What I Thought I Needed to Solve It...

Young's modulus = Tensile strength/Tensile strain

Stress = Force/cross section area

Strain = distance stretched/initial length

3. I only know 2 of the 5 variables; how much force will be applied and Young's modulus. I'm not sure where to go without knowing the stretch or length of the wire.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it even solvable? Or is there something painfully obvious that I'm missing?

Young's modulus is a measure of stiffness: how difficult it is to achieve elastic, reversible deformation. You need to look up the strength of brass: the ultimate tensile strength that it can withstand without breaking.

GrandLuxor said:
1. The Problem...

A brass wire is to withstand a tensile force of 350 N without breaking. What minimum diameter must the wire have?

Given Quantity: Young's modulus for brass = 9.0 * 10^10

2. What I Thought I Needed to Solve It...

Young's modulus = Tensile strength/Tensile strain

Stress = Force/cross section area

Strain = distance stretched/initial length

3. I only know 2 of the 5 variables; how much force will be applied and Young's modulus. I'm not sure where to go without knowing the stretch or length of the wire.
You only need to know the ultimate breaking tensile stress of brass using the original area; were you given a graph?
EDIT: oohh, way too late with this response.

I wasn't provided a graph, or a figure for the tensile strength of Brass. If I was to use tensile strength rather than Young's modulus, would the same equation apply?

1. Can a brass wire be stretched without breaking?

Yes, a brass wire can be stretched without breaking. However, the amount of stretching that can be done without breaking the wire depends on factors such as the initial thickness and composition of the wire.

2. How does stretching affect the properties of a brass wire?

Stretching a brass wire can change its mechanical properties, such as its tensile strength and ductility. The wire may become stronger and more flexible, but it may also become more brittle and prone to breaking under tension.

3. What methods can be used to stretch a brass wire?

There are several methods for stretching a brass wire, including manual stretching with pliers or a wire stretcher tool, using a draw bench or rolling mill, or applying heat to the wire to make it more malleable.

4. How does the temperature affect the stretching of a brass wire?

The temperature of the brass wire can have a significant impact on its stretching properties. At higher temperatures, the wire becomes more malleable and easier to stretch, while at lower temperatures it becomes more rigid and difficult to stretch.

5. Is stretching a brass wire a reversible process?

In most cases, stretching a brass wire is considered an irreversible process. This is because the stretching causes permanent changes to the structure and properties of the wire, and it cannot be easily returned to its original state.