Striations in cathode ray discharge

In summary: The voltage and pressure affect the size, color, number, and spacing of the striations in the same way - by changing the mean free path.
Plat
image.jpg
What causes these striations? How does the voltage and pressure of the discharge affect the size, color, number, and spacing of the striations? I have produced a discharge with striations with fairly low voltage (under 15kv) and pressure 10 - 100pa, and the striations are very thin, compact, and numerous. Most of the striations I see online are very thick and few in number. This is also a noisy dc supply so that may affect things as well.

I am having a difficult time finding information on the process that causes this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Plat said:
View attachment 94031 What causes these striations? How does the voltage and pressure of the discharge affect the size, color, number, and spacing of the striations? I have produced a discharge with striations with fairly low voltage (under 15kv) and pressure 10 - 100pa, and the striations are very thin, compact, and numerous. Most of the striations I see online are very thick and few in number. This is also a noisy dc supply so that may affect things as well.

I am having a difficult time finding information on the process that causes this.
I think it might be audio frequency oscillation in the system.

Plat said:
View attachment 94031 What causes these striations? How does the voltage and pressure of the discharge affect the size, color, number, and spacing of the striations? I have produced a discharge with striations with fairly low voltage (under 15kv) and pressure 10 - 100pa, and the striations are very thin, compact, and numerous. Most of the striations I see online are very thick and few in number. This is also a noisy dc supply so that may affect things as well.

This is a genuine effect caused by ionisation of the low pressure gas. Electrons are accelerated from the cathode (the upper electrode) the 'dark spaces' are where electrons are being accelerated, they collide with gas molecules which are ionised and recombination results in the glow. The dark spaces are known as 'Crookes dark spaces'...the scientist associated with these experiments. At very low pressure electrons from the cathode are able to reach the glass walls of the tube and fluorescence occurs in the glass..this is the basis of fluorescent light tubes (they are coated to increase fluorescence)

Last edited:
I think you will find that, as the pressure is reduced, the spacing of the striations will increase - because the mean free path increases.

1. What are striations in cathode ray discharge?

Striations in cathode ray discharge are thin, parallel lines that appear in the discharge tube when an electric current is passed through it. They are caused by the interaction between the electrons in the cathode ray and the gas molecules in the tube.

2. How are striations formed in cathode ray discharge?

Striations are formed when high-speed electrons from the cathode collide with gas molecules in the tube, causing the molecules to ionize and emit light. This creates a visible pattern of parallel lines due to the electric field in the tube.

3. What is the significance of striations in cathode ray discharge?

Striations are important because they provide evidence for the presence and behavior of electrons in the cathode ray tube. They also help to determine the properties of the gas molecules in the tube.

4. Can striations in cathode ray discharge be manipulated?

Yes, striations can be manipulated by changing the voltage, pressure, and composition of the gas in the tube. This can alter the appearance and behavior of the striations, providing valuable information about the properties of the gas and the behavior of electrons.

5. How are striations in cathode ray discharge used in scientific research?

Striations in cathode ray discharge have been used in various experiments and studies related to plasma physics, gas discharge, and electron behavior. They have also been used in the development of electronic devices such as cathode ray tubes and plasma displays.