1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Structural Engineering -12x12 stiffness matrix analysis

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    Hi,
    I am trying to write a MATLAB script to do an elastic analysis of 3D frame sturctures. The method I am using is the direct stiffness method, but I cannot find the equations for the 12x12 stiffness matrix for each member in the global system.

If anyone has any information on 3D matrix analysis I would greatly appreciate the help. So far none of the texts I have found have explicitly given these formula.

I have the 6x6 matracies for 2D analysis if anyone is interested.

Thank You

Elbarto

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2008 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I am assuming that you are using something along the lines of a truss element, but in a 3D structure, i.e. members can carry no bending moments.

Take a look here :
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=6&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.engineer.tamuk.edu%2Fdepartments%2Fieen%2Ffaculty%2FDrLPeel%2FCourses%2FMeen5330%2Fstudent_presentations%2FFEA_F06.ppt&ei=bkvrSKziMdywmQf0mcHaCg&usg=AFQjCNFyXckTs9v56tKt3qI9Yc-c1jALjQ&sig2=k9yvGnIMuqDkYuKnyPc9kg [Broken]

Towards the back of the presentation it talks about the 3D truss stiffness matrix. Both of my FEA books also discuss this as well. See if you can get a hold of a copy from your library or a fellow student.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  4. Oct 7, 2008 #3
    Thank you for your reply. That is almost exactly what I am chasing, tho I need the 12x12 stiffness matraix equations because I am considering bending so I will have the 6 additional degree of freedom to account for due to the rotation of each node.

If I find the equations I will post them here. Are you allowed to photo copy pages from text books and post them here or is that against forum rules?

Thanks, Elbarto

5. Oct 8, 2008 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Oh. So you're using some kind of beam element. I'll see if I can dig them up in my FEA book.

6. Oct 8, 2008 #5
    Yes I am doing a full 3D frame element so I have to consider all 12 DOF's for each member. I had a look in my library today and think I managed to find the local member stiffness equations which will probably work ok if I play around with them a bit but I would appreciate it if you could check your text book out.

Thanks alot
    Regards Elbarto

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook