Structure of Solid CO2: Face-Centered Cubic w/ 4 Atoms?

In summary, it seems that CO2 1 has a face-centered cubic structure with 4 CO2 atoms in the unit cell.
jd1828
If found a few places that suggest that CO2 1 has a face center cubic with 4 CO2 atoms in the unit cell. Does this sound right? I could also use some literature source that backs this up.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
jd1828 said:
If found a few places that suggest that CO2 1 has a face center cubic with 4 CO2 atoms in the unit cell. Does this sound right? I could also use some literature source that backs this up.

They wouldn't be CO2 atoms, but that was a deliberate mistake to check we were paying attention, right?! A few links I found on Google seem to back up what you've got (FCC), but not found anything conclusive so far.

It seems strange that I can't find any good souces on something that sounds so simple. I should also add that what I am really looking for here is the bond lenghts or I guess the distances between atoms. the size of the unit cell (edge length or whatever its called). This can be at any temp and pressure as long as it is still with in the first solid phase of CO2. I guess I could also go with data from the other phases as well but I would like to start with CO2 (I) first. I am trying to represent a unit cell of CO2 in cartesian coordinates

Last edited:
No time to figure this out (am in a bit of a rush), but I remembered that this guy out in California did some work on this topic a while back and managed to find the citation via Google which may help:
C.S. Yoo, et al (1999) Phys. Rev. Lett. 83 (26): 5527-5530.
I would think a face-centered cubic structure would be OK as a first try, though. As I had to explain to one of my students a while back, you see the difference between the strength of weak chemical interactions versus covalent interactions when comparing carbon dioxide (dry ice) and silicon dioxide (quartz) quite clearly...

Mike H said:
No time to figure this out (am in a bit of a rush), but I remembered that this guy out in California did some work on this topic a while back and managed to find the citation via Google which may help:
C.S. Yoo, et al (1999) Phys. Rev. Lett. 83 (26): 5527-5530.
I would think a face-centered cubic structure would be OK as a first try, though. As I had to explain to one of my students a while back, you see the difference between the strength of weak chemical interactions versus covalent interactions when comparing carbon dioxide (dry ice) and silicon dioxide (quartz) quite clearly...

Thanks, I found the paper and looks like it has everything I was looking for. It also has the experimental data for several other phases too which I would have needed at some point as well.

What is the structure of solid CO2?

The structure of solid CO2 is face-centered cubic with 4 atoms.

What is the arrangement of atoms in solid CO2?

The atoms in solid CO2 are arranged in a face-centered cubic structure, meaning that there is an atom at the center of each cube face and one at each corner.

How many atoms are present in solid CO2?

There are 4 atoms present in solid CO2.

What is the significance of the face-centered cubic structure in solid CO2?

The face-centered cubic structure of solid CO2 allows for close packing of atoms, making it a highly stable and dense solid.

Is the structure of solid CO2 unique?

No, the face-centered cubic structure is a common structure for many solids, including other compounds such as metals and alloys.