Why Is Organic Chemistry So Challenging for Some Students?

In summary, the individual is struggling with organic chemistry and is not performing as well as they would like in the class. They have tried seeking extra help and using outside resources, but are still struggling. They are wondering if anyone has specific tips or hints for doing well in the class. It is suggested to focus on the main concepts and to pay attention in class. Some basics for organic chemistry are also mentioned, such as rote learning electron donating/accepting groups and learning the purpose of reagents under specific conditions. It is also recommended to try to determine the way a reactant will react based on its electron density and to learn common names. The best way to study is suggested to be paying attention in class, going over notes, trying
member 392791
I am having difficulties studying for organic chemistry. The concepts don't seem especially difficult, but I am not performing where I want to be at in this class (1st semester organic chemistry). I do fine in math and physics, and even did well in general chemistry, but it seems the skills necessary in this class aren't the same as the other classes.

I don't know if it's specific to my professor, but getting all the variations of things such as all the different isomers and naming all of them and such...I can't pinpoint exactly what it is but I cannot perform right now.

I have been going to his office for extra help and using outside resources, but I was wondering if anyone had any specific hints or tips for how to do well in this class. I study a lot more for this class than physics or math and still do worse in it.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It's a slightly different kind of thinking from math and physics. Reaction mechanisms are more like logical puzzles than science (at that level, anyway) and some of them require a kind of "spatial" reasoning that's different from other aspects of chemistry. Maybe it's just not your kind of thing. Nothing wrong with that.

If you're still going to sweat the grade though, try to focus on the one or two actual "concepts" in intro orgo (basically what goes into SN and E type reactions) and try to see all of the examples in terms of those. Always references back to those and it should make more sense, though that process will take some time.

Some basics for organic chemistry:

1.) You need to at least rote learn all the electron donating/accepting groups.

2.) You need to learn the purpose of reagents under "specific conditions". One reagent can be used for carrying many different mechanisms.

3.) Try to determine if you can use the electron density on your reactant to determine the way it will react. For eg. Salisaldehye, when attacked by a Nucleophile, Nu: will attach to o,p positions of -OH group. (Try to figure out).

4.) Try to learn some common names. They help a lot.

The best way I found to study organic was to pay attention very well during class. Then go over notes. After that, try the homework problems WITHOUT looking back at your notes or going back into the chapter to look for an answer. After doing the homework, THEN go back into the chapter and look for answers on all the ones you got wrong or couldn't get. After that go over the concepts you are weak on over again.

Seemed to work like a charm for me.

gravenewworld said:
The best way I found to study organic was to pay attention very well during class. Then go over notes. After that, try the homework problems WITHOUT looking back at your notes or going back into the chapter to look for an answer. After doing the homework, THEN go back into the chapter and look for answers on all the ones you got wrong or couldn't get. After that go over the concepts you are weak on over again.

Seemed to work like a charm for me.

Good advice, this.

What is organic chemistry?

Organic chemistry is the study of carbon-containing compounds and their properties, reactions, and synthesis. It is a branch of chemistry that focuses on understanding the structure, function, and behavior of molecules that contain carbon atoms.

Why is organic chemistry often considered difficult?

Organic chemistry can be challenging because it requires a strong understanding of fundamental concepts, as well as the ability to visualize and predict the behavior of complex molecules. It also involves a lot of memorization and the use of abstract thinking skills.

What are some common topics covered in organic chemistry?

Some common topics in organic chemistry include nomenclature, functional groups, isomerism, reaction mechanisms, stereochemistry, and spectroscopy. Students also learn about different types of organic compounds, such as alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, alcohols, and carboxylic acids.

How can I improve my understanding of organic chemistry?

To improve your understanding of organic chemistry, it is important to attend lectures, actively participate in class discussions, and complete practice problems. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates and utilize online resources, such as videos and interactive tutorials.

What are some career options for individuals with a background in organic chemistry?

Individuals with a background in organic chemistry can pursue careers in various fields, including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, agrochemicals, materials science, and environmental science. They can also work in research and development, quality control, or as educators in academia.