Solve Prove: l/x(by+cz-ax)=m/y(cz+ax-by)=n/z(ax+by-cz)

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the given equation is used to prove another equation by multiplying through by certain factors and simplifying the expressions. The steps involved are multiplying all three fractions by the factor 2lmn, simplifying each term, and then multiplying through by the appropriate factors to get the desired equation.
Miike012

Homework Statement

If: (x/l)/(mb+nc-ax) = (y/M)/(nc+la-mb) = (z/n)/(la+mb-nc)
Prove: l/x(by+cz-ax)=m/y(cz+ax-by)=n/z(ax+by-cz)

The next line in the book says...
1. (ny+mz)/a = 2. (lz+nx)/b = 3. (mx+ly)/c

I don't understand how they got to this point...
My guess is that they added them seperatly then simplifyed somehow?
This is what I came up with after adding them...

The Attempt at a Solution

1. (y/m + z/n)/2la = 2. (z/n+x/l)/2mb = 3. (y/m+x/l)/2nc
it looks like in 1. they cross mult in the numerator whish would then give us (ny+mz/nm)/2la = (ny+mz)/(nm)2la... but where did the nm2l go in the denominator?

Physics news on Phys.org
If: [tex]\frac{\frac{x}{l}}{mb+nc-ax} = \frac{\frac{y}{M}}{nc+la-mb} = \frac{{z}{n}}{la+mb-nc}[/tex]
[tex]Prove: \frac{l}{x}\left(by+cz-ax\right) = \frac{m}{y}\left(cz+ax-by\right)=\frac{n}{z}\left(ax+by-cz\right)[/tex]

the way you wrote it I can't tell whether the parenthesized terms in the prove statement are part of the numerators or denominators

Good point... sorry... it is
l/(x(by+cz-ax))=m/(y(cz+ax-by))=n/(z(ax+by-cz))

Miike012 said:

Homework Statement

If: (x/l)/(mb+nc-ax) = (y/M)/(nc+la-mb) = (z/n)/(la+mb-nc)
Prove: l/x(by+cz-ax)=m/y(cz+ax-by)=n/z(ax+by-cz)

You have an "m" and an "M". You mean that both are "m", right?

1. (ny+mz)/a = 2. (lz+nx)/b = 3. (mx+ly)/c
I am not sure what this means. Do you mean "(ny+mz)/a = 2 (lz+nx)/b = 3 (mx+ly)/c ?

No, I was dividing them by number 1. 2. and 3.

I ment "(ny+mz)/a = (lz+nx)/b = (mx+ly)/c

If: (x/l)/(mb+nc-la) = (y/m)/(nc+la-mb) = (z/n)/(la+mb-nc)
Prove: l/(x(by+cz-ax))=m/(y(cz+ax-by))=n/(z(ax+by-cz))

(ny+mz)/a = (lz+nx)/b = (mx+ly)/c

3. The Attempt at a Solution
(y/m + z/n)/2la = (z/n+x/l)/2mb = (y/m+x/l)/2nc
it looks like in 1. they cross mult in the numerator whish would then give us (ny+mz/nm)/2la = (ny+mz)/(nm)2la... but where did the nm2l go in the denominator?

There I re-edited it... that should be correct now.

does it still not look right?

[tex]
if: \frac{\frac{x}{l}}{mb +nc - ax} = \frac{\frac{y}{m}}{nc + la - mb} = \frac{\frac{z}{n}}{la + mb - nc}
[/tex]

[tex]
Prove: \frac{l}{x\left(by + cz - ax\right)} = \frac{m}{y\left(cz + ax - by\right)}=\frac{n}{z\left(ax + by - cz\right)}
[/tex]

The next line of the book says...

[tex]\frac{ny + mz}{a} = \frac{lz + nx}{b} = \frac{mx + ly}{c}[/tex]

Your attempt at a solution

[tex]\frac{\frac{y}{m} + \frac{z}{n}}{2la} = \frac{\frac{z}{n} + \frac{x}{l}}{2mb} = \frac{\frac{y}{m} + \frac{x}{l}}{2nc}[/tex]

it looks like in 1. they cross mult in the numerator whish would then give us

[tex]\frac{ny + \frac{mz}{nm}}{2la} = \frac{ny+mz}{(nm)2la}[/tex]

more readable no?

Last edited:
I made a website... here it has the problem on the front page... if u don't mind looking at it thank you..

http://mmathhelp.webs.com/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Any one?

Example 2. If [tex]\frac{x}{l\left(mb + nc -la\right)} = \frac{y}{m\left(nc + la - mb\right)} = \frac{z}{n\left(la + mb - nc\right)}[/tex],

prove that [tex]\frac{l}{x\left(by + cz - ax\right)} = \frac{m}{y\left(cz + ax - by\right)}=\frac{n}{z\left(ax + by - cz\right)}
[/tex].

We have [tex]\frac{ny + mz}{a} = \frac{lz + nx}{b} = \frac{mx + ly}{c}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{\frac{y}{m} + \frac{z}{n}}{2la}[/tex]

=two similar expressions;

[tex]\frac{ny + mz}{a} = \frac{lz + nz}{b} = \frac{mx + ly}{c}[/tex].​

Multiply the first of these fractions above and below by x, the second by y, and the third by z; then

[tex]\frac{nxy + mxz}{ax} = \frac{lyz + nxy}{by} = \frac{mxz + lyz}{cz}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{2lyz}{by + cz -ax}[/tex]

=two similar expressions;

[tex]\frac{l}{x\left(by + cz - ax\right)} = \frac{m}{y\left(cz + ax -by\right)} = \frac{n}{z\left(ax + by - cz\right)}[/tex].​

Last edited:
how did they get from [tex]= \frac{\frac{y}{m} + \frac{z}{n}}{2la}[/tex]
to [tex]\frac{ny + mz}{a} = \frac{lz + nz}{b} = \frac{mx + ly}{c}[/tex]
thats the only thing I am stuck on

You got to

[tex]\frac{\frac{y}{m} + \frac{z}{n}}{2la} = \frac{\frac{z}{n} + \frac{x}{l}}{2mb} = \frac{\frac{y}{m} + \frac{x}{l}}{2nc}[/tex]

Try multiplying all three by 2lmn:

[tex]\frac{\frac{y}{m} + \frac{z}{n}}{2la}\times 2lmn= \frac{\frac{z}{n} + \frac{x}{l}}{2mb} \times 2lmn= \frac{\frac{y}{m} + \frac{x}{l}}{2nc}\times 2lmn[/tex]

and then simplify each term.

so your telling me that I can pull a 2lmn out of the blue stick it into the equation for no apparent reason? That just doesn't make sense to me.

Miike012 said:
so your telling me that I can pull a 2lmn out of the blue stick it into the equation for no apparent reason? That just doesn't make sense to me.

It doesn't come out the blue, look at the equation: [tex]
\frac{\frac{y}{m} + \frac{z}{n}}{2la} = \frac{\frac{z}{n} + \frac{x}{l}}{2mb} = \frac{\frac{y}{m} + \frac{x}{l}}{2nc}
[/tex]

Notice how 2l, 2m, 2n (respectively) are in front of the a, b, c? Looks like they wanted to get the equations set over a, b, and c and that's the way to do it.

You can also do it step by step. For instance, you want to get rid of the 2 in the denominators, so the obvious way would seem to be to multiply through by 2 to get

[tex]\frac{\frac{y}{m} + \frac{z}{n}}{la} = \frac{\frac{z}{n} + \frac{x}{l}}{mb} = \frac{\frac{y}{m} + \frac{x}{l}}{nc}[/tex]

Now, to get a alone in the denominator of the first fraction, you multiply through by l. When you do this, you'll see parts of the numerator in the other fractions start to look like what you want. So you just keep going and hope it works out.

Sorry if it seemed like I pulled the factor 2lmn out of the air, but after years of doing tons of algebra, I can see these patterns relatively quickly. It's a skill you develop just from working out a bunch of problems.

Wow, after you explained it, it sound easy lol... I think my problem is, I over think the problem and make it harder than it needs to be, then I mess up...

1. What is the purpose of the equation "Solve Prove: l/x(by+cz-ax)=m/y(cz+ax-by)=n/z(ax+by-cz)"?

The purpose of this equation is to solve for the values of x, y, and z that satisfy the given equations. The equations are set up in a way that allows for the elimination of variables and the determination of a unique solution.

2. What does the letter "l" represent in the equation?

The letter "l" represents a constant value in the equation. It is used to balance out the equation and ensure that all the terms have the same units.

3. How many solutions are possible for this equation?

Since there are three variables (x, y, and z) and three equations, there is only one unique solution for this equation. This is known as a system of equations with one solution or a consistent system.

4. What is the process for solving this type of equation?

The first step is to eliminate one of the variables by combining two of the equations. This will result in a new equation with two variables. Then, eliminate the second variable by combining the remaining two equations. This will result in a single equation with one variable, which can then be solved to find the value of that variable. Finally, substitute the value of the first variable into one of the original equations to solve for the remaining variables.

5. Can this equation be solved using any method?

Yes, this equation can be solved using various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. The method chosen will depend on the preference of the solver and the complexity of the equation.