1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck on an integral

1. Mar 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex] \int\frac{1}{t^4+16}\,dt [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Various integration formulas. I am pretty stuck.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried various substitutions, with no success. I tried t^2 = 4u, hoping to get it into the form 1/(u^2+1) so I could use the arctan formula, but then du/dt = t/2 and so I don't have an equivalent expression when I substitute.

I have tried various other substitutions with no better luck. If anyone has a suggestion, I would be so grateful. This is the only one from this set I haven't been able to solve.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

HINT: [tex] t^4 +16=t^4 +8t^2 +16 -8t^2 [/tex]
  4. Mar 21, 2007 #3
    Thanks dextercioby. If I understand your hint, I would factor [tex] (t^2+4)^2-8t^2 [/tex] into two factors, use partial fractions, and then integrate the two expressions that would result?
  5. Mar 21, 2007 #4
    That doesn't seem to work. I end up with imaginaries in the expression, unless I am doing something wrong.
  6. Mar 21, 2007 #5
    I don't want to put you off- but the Integrator gives an answer that is quite complicated- involving 2 logs and 2 inverse tan functions. Could it be that you've misread the question?

I would rate this integral as tough.
  7. Mar 21, 2007 #6
    Ok, I think I've got it... Wow. This is so much more complicated than any other expression. Wow.
  8. Mar 21, 2007 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I'm not sure if thats what dex wanted.

But either way, you're doing something wrong.

[tex]\frac{1}{t^4+16}= \frac{\frac{-t}{16\sqrt{2}} - \frac{1}{8}}{t^2 + 2\sqrt{2} +4} - \frac{\frac{1}{8} - \frac{t}{16\sqrt{2}}}{-t^2+2\sqrt{2}-4}[/tex]. Not very nice.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?