Integral Homework Help: Stuck on t^4+16

In summary, the integral \int\frac{1}{t^4+16}\,dt is a difficult problem that requires various substitutions and the use of partial fractions. The solution involves a complicated expression with logarithms and inverse tangent functions.
BrettB

Homework Statement

[tex] \int\frac{1}{t^4+16}\,dt [/tex]

Homework Equations

Various integration formulas. I am pretty stuck.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried various substitutions, with no success. I tried t^2 = 4u, hoping to get it into the form 1/(u^2+1) so I could use the arctan formula, but then du/dt = t/2 and so I don't have an equivalent expression when I substitute.

I have tried various other substitutions with no better luck. If anyone has a suggestion, I would be so grateful. This is the only one from this set I haven't been able to solve.

Thanks!
Brett

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: [tex] t^4 +16=t^4 +8t^2 +16 -8t^2 [/tex]

Thanks dextercioby. If I understand your hint, I would factor [tex] (t^2+4)^2-8t^2 [/tex] into two factors, use partial fractions, and then integrate the two expressions that would result?

That doesn't seem to work. I end up with imaginaries in the expression, unless I am doing something wrong.

I don't want to put you off- but the Integrator gives an answer that is quite complicated- involving 2 logs and 2 inverse tan functions. Could it be that you've misread the question?

I would rate this integral as tough.

Ok, I think I've got it... Wow. This is so much more complicated than any other expression. Wow.

I'm not sure if that's what dex wanted.

But either way, you're doing something wrong.

[tex]\frac{1}{t^4+16}= \frac{\frac{-t}{16\sqrt{2}} - \frac{1}{8}}{t^2 + 2\sqrt{2} +4} - \frac{\frac{1}{8} - \frac{t}{16\sqrt{2}}}{-t^2+2\sqrt{2}-4}[/tex]. Not very nice.

Related to Integral Homework Help: Stuck on t^4+16

1. What is the concept of "integral homework help"?

"Integral homework help" refers to the assistance and resources available to students who are struggling with problems involving integrals, which are mathematical operations used to calculate the area under a curve.

2. How can I solve the equation t^4+16?

To solve this equation, you can use the power rule for integration, which states that the integral of x^n is equal to x^(n+1)/(n+1). In this case, you would integrate t^4 to get (t^5)/5, and then add the constant of integration, which in this case would be 16t.

3. What is the significance of the constant of integration in integral homework?

The constant of integration is a value that is added to the solution of an integral to account for all possible solutions. It is important to include this constant in order to have a complete solution to the problem.

4. Can I use a graphing calculator to solve integrals in my homework?

Yes, many graphing calculators have integral functions that can help you solve integrals quickly and accurately. However, it is important to understand the concepts and methods behind solving integrals, as calculators may not always provide the most efficient or accurate solutions.

5. Where can I find additional resources for integral homework help?

There are many online resources available, such as instructional videos, practice problems, and interactive tutorials, that can help you understand and solve integrals. You can also seek help from your teacher, tutor, or classmates for additional support and clarification.