What is the Light Intensity 3 Meters from the Bulb?

In summary, the problem involves a conducting rod sliding through a magnetic field and acting as a generator to power a light bulb. The formula for generator potential is used to find the voltage, which can then be used to calculate the current and power delivered to the light bulb. The efficiency of the light bulb is not given, so a typical efficiency may need to be used to estimate the light power. The intensity of the light at a distance of 3 m can be found by calculating the number of watts of power per square meter on an imaginary sphere with a 3 m radius.
dewdrop714
stuck on light intensity problem...

1. Homework Statement

http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/vv212/dewdr0p714/?action=view&current=physicsexam2q5withoutphotocell.jpg

A conducting rod slides down 2 frictionless copper tracks at a constant velocity.
There is a .50 T magnetic field perpendicular to the rod. The rod maintains electrical contact at all times. The rod has a length of 1.0 m and a mass of .25kg. A 1.5 Ohm light bulb is attached between the tops of the tracks.

What is the intensity of the light from the light bulb at a distance 3.0 away from the bulb?

2. Homework Equations

S = c / (magnetic permeability of free space) * B^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution

S = ?
B = .50
c = 3.00 *10^8 m/s
(magnetic permeability of free space) is a constant... = 4pi *10^-7 T*m/a

if all these variables are plugged into the equation i can solve for S and get the intensity. But "3 meters" is mentioned in the problem. I know I am using the wrong formula...which one am i supposed to use?

Physics news on Phys.org

The rod moving through the magnetic field acts as a generator. The generator formula is
V = LvB (potential = length x velocity x magnetic field).
Knowing the potential, you can use electricity formulas to find the current and power delivered to the light bulb.

Unfortunately no efficiency is given for the light bulb - perhaps you are supposed to look up the efficiency of a typical incandescent bulb in order to estimate the light power produced. The light will spread out in every direction, illuminating an imaginary sphere 3 m in radius, and you want the number of watts of power per square meter on it.

As a scientist, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. In this case, the problem is asking for the intensity of light at a distance of 3.0 meters away from the bulb. This means that the intensity of light will decrease as it travels away from the bulb.

To solve this problem, you will need to use the inverse square law for light intensity, which states that the intensity of light is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that as the distance from the light source increases, the intensity of light decreases.

The equation for the inverse square law is:

I1/I2 = (r2/r1)^2

Where I1 is the initial intensity, I2 is the final intensity, r1 is the initial distance, and r2 is the final distance.

In this problem, we can assume that the initial intensity is the intensity of the light at the bulb itself, which we can calculate using the given equation: S = c / (magnetic permeability of free space) * B^2

Once we have the initial intensity, we can use the inverse square law to calculate the final intensity at a distance of 3.0 meters away from the bulb. This will give us the answer to the problem.

Remember to always carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. And don't be afraid to ask for help if you are stuck on a problem. As a scientist, collaboration and seeking out new knowledge are essential skills.

1. How is light intensity measured?

Light intensity is typically measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m²) or lux (lx). Lux is a unit of illuminance, or the amount of light per unit area, and it is commonly used to measure light intensity in indoor environments.

2. What factors affect light intensity?

Several factors can affect light intensity, including the distance from the light source, the angle at which the light is hitting the surface, the color and reflectivity of the surface, and any obstructions or objects that may block or scatter the light.

3. How does light intensity affect plant growth?

Light intensity plays a crucial role in plant growth and development. Different plants have different light intensity requirements, but in general, plants need sufficient light intensity for photosynthesis, which is the process by which they convert light energy into chemical energy to fuel their growth and metabolism.

4. How can I increase or decrease light intensity?

To increase light intensity, you can move the light source closer to the surface or use a more powerful light source. To decrease light intensity, you can move the light source further away or use a dimmer switch. Changing the angle or direction of the light can also affect its intensity.

5. Why is it important to control light intensity in experiments?

Controlling light intensity is important in experiments because it can significantly impact the results. If the light intensity is too low, it may not provide enough energy for the plants or organisms being studied. If the light intensity is too high, it may cause stress or damage to the subjects. Consistent and controlled light intensity ensures accurate and reliable data.