Studying for Exams: Late Night in the UK

In summary, the conversation is about a person studying for exams and feeling stressed and depressed. They receive some words of encouragement and advice from others who have also experienced exam stress. They are reminded to focus on the end goal and to take breaks and relax during the studying process. Someone also suggests a helpful book for exam success.
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Its 23:20 over here in the UK and I'm sat at my laptop studying for my exams, by typing up bullet pointed notes, trying to condense my notes into as little space as possible. I've got my exam a week on monday and I'm depressed. :frown: . I just felt like I needed to tell someone, let off a bit of steam.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't care much for exams either.

This too shall pass! You will survive. :wink:

Meanwhile, I wish you much success!

Astronuc said:
Meanwhile, I wish you much success!
Thank you Astronuc, that cheered me up a tad.:smile:

Start planning your celebration following the tests. :biggrin:

Besides, based on your contributions in the HW sections, I think you will do well!

Last edited:
I too hate exams. The finals week of this last semester I pulled three all nighters. The only thing that kept me going was me constantly reminding myself that once all this cramming was done and the tests were taken I would then immediately be able to come home, jump on my bed, go to sleep, drop all responsibilities and relax. So my advice to you is to just keep reminding yourself that the more you work the more relaxing your upcoming break will be!

exams are dreadful but last minute cramming may not be a good thing to do. Just get a good book like 'How to succeed in exams" and read it for hints on how to make exams easy. Here is the url to the book
http://www.lulu.com/content/230918
best of luck

Related to Studying for Exams: Late Night in the UK

1. What are some effective study techniques for late night studying in the UK?

Some effective study techniques for late night studying in the UK include creating a quiet and comfortable study environment, breaking up study sessions into smaller chunks of time, taking short breaks to avoid burnout, and using active studying methods such as practice questions or creating flashcards.

2. How can I stay motivated while studying late at night?

To stay motivated while studying late at night, try setting specific goals for each study session, rewarding yourself after completing a certain amount of studying, and reminding yourself of the long-term benefits of doing well on exams.

3. Is it better to study alone or with a group during late night study sessions?

The best approach for late night studying may vary for each individual, but generally, studying alone can allow for more focused and efficient studying, while studying in a group can provide support and motivation. It may be beneficial to try a combination of both methods to find what works best for you.

4. How can I avoid feeling tired while studying late at night?

To avoid feeling tired while studying late at night, try to get enough rest during the day, stay hydrated, and take breaks to stretch and move around. It may also be helpful to have some caffeine, but be cautious not to consume too much and disrupt your sleep schedule.

5. Are there any specific foods or drinks that can help with late night studying?

While there is no specific food or drink that can guarantee better studying, some options that may help with focus and energy include foods high in protein and healthy fats, such as nuts, fruits, and vegetables, and drinks like green tea or water. It is important to avoid heavy or sugary foods that may cause drowsiness.