1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subspace of P4

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    1. Let V={(X^2+X+1)p(x) : p(x) [itex]\in[/itex] P2(x)}
    Show that V is a subspace of P4(x). Display a basis, with a proof. What is the dimension of V?

3. I started to try to figure out how to prove that V is a subspace of P4, but I'm not sure how.

To show that it is closed under addition:
    p(x)=x^2 is in P2(x)
    (x^2+x+1)(x^2)+(a^2+a+1)(a^2)
    x^4+x^3+x^2+a^4+a^3+a^2 is in P4, because no exponent is greater than 4.

The zero vector is if p(x) = 0

And then I'm not sure how to show that multiplication is closed

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Please don't remove the template text. You are removing all of it except the [ b ] tags, which makes all of what you enter bold.
    Yes, but p(x) is supposed to represent any arbitrary function in P2(x), which could be a polynomial of degree 2 or degree 1, depending on how your text defines P2(x).

In any case you need to look at (x2 + x + 1)*p(x), where p(x) is some arbitrary polynomial in P2.
    ???
    That would be multiplication by a scalar.

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3
    So I can prove it is closed under scalar multiplication by saying k(x^2+x+1)(ax^2+bx+c) is still in P4. Also would the basis be {x^4, x^3, x^2, x, 1} of dim(5)?

5. Sep 26, 2012 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

You have to prove three things :

1. V≠∅ or similarily, 0[itex]\in[/itex]V.
    2. V is closed under addition.
    3. V is closed under scalar multiplication.

Start by showing that 0 is in V because in most cases it will help you with part 2 and 3.

6. Sep 26, 2012 #5
    Can't I just say that since 0 is in P2, then (x^2+x+1)(0)=0 is in P4?
    Does how I proved scalar multiplication before work?
    To prove scalar addition can't I say that (x^2+x+1)(ax^2+bx+c)+(x^2+x+1)(ex^2+fx+g) is still in P4? Thanks for your help. But I also just wanna double check with that basis and dim(5) that i stated earlier to see if that's right?

7. Sep 26, 2012 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Yes, dim(P4) = 5. In fact, you can say in general that dim(Pn) = n+1.

Now as for your question. I want to make sure that I know what you're asking.

V={(x2+x+1)p(x) | p(x) ∈ P2}
    Show that V is a subspace of P4. Display a basis, with a proof. What is the dimension of V?

Fixed that up a bit so I could be more clear. Is this correct?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  8. Sep 26, 2012 #7
    yes that is is correct, thanks

9. Sep 26, 2012 #8

Zondrina

Homework Helper

So V is the set containing all polynomials of the form (x2+x+1)p(x) where p(x) is a polynomial of degree of at most 2.

So any general p(x) has the form ax2 + bx + c and any general element in V has the form (x2 + x + 1)(ax2 + bx + c).

Indeed to show V≠∅, argue that the zero polynomial of P4.... ( I'll leave this to you ).

To show additive closure, pick two arbitrary polynomials in V, (x2 + x + 1)(ax2 + bx + c) and (x2 + x + 1)(dx2 + ex + f) and show that their sum must also lie inside V.

To show scalar closure, pick an arbitrary polynomial in V, (x2 + x + 1)(ax2 + bx + c) and some arbitrary scalar in ℂ and show that even after multiplying them together, the product must still be inside V.

10. Sep 26, 2012 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Multiply out (x^2+x+1)(ax^2+bx+c). The subspace CAN'T be five dimensional. It only has 3 free parameters! Write it as a*(...)+b*(...)+c*(...). Fill in the (...).

11. Sep 27, 2012 #10
    How can it not be five dimensional if you multiply it out you get:

a(x^4+x^3+x^2)+b(X^3+x^2+x)+c(x^2+x+1)

Wait. so you can use that as a basis. I see, thanks a lot. Just out of curiosity though, how would you prove that the zero vector exists.

12. Sep 27, 2012 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Take a= b= c= 0 so that (x^2+x+1)p(x)= (x^2+ x+ 1)(0x^2+ 0x+ 0)= 0, of course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook