Does V Qualify as a Subspace of ℝ3?

In summary, we are trying to determine if the set V = {(a,b,c) | a^2+b^2=c^2} is a subspace of the vector space X = ℝ^3. To do this, we need to show that V meets the three criteria for being a subspace: it contains the zero vector, it is closed under vector addition, and it is closed under scalar multiplication. Through some algebraic manipulations and the knowledge that addition and multiplication are closed under ℝ, we can show that V does indeed meet all three criteria and therefore can be considered a subspace of X.
SYoungblood

Homework Statement

Let X=ℝ3 and let V={(a,b,c) such that a2+b2=c2}. Is V a subspace of X? If so, what dimensions?

Homework Equations

A vector space V exists over a field F if V is an abelian group under addition, and if for each a ∈ F and v ∈ V, there is an element av ∈ V such that all of the following conditions apply for all a,b ∈F and all u,v ∈V -- a(u + v) = au + av, (a + b)v = av + bv, a(bv)= (ab)v, and 1 × v = v.

The Attempt at a Solution

a2+b2=c2 is abelian under addition because real numbers are commutative under that operation. I believe we would not have to concern ourselves with multiplication because we are not multiplying, and we would not have to concern ourselves with associativity under multiplication for the same reason. If we multiply this my the multiplicative identity, we get 1 × (a2+b2=c2)=a2+b2=c2. So, we are good for a vector space.

V is a subspace of X because it is nonempty, and closed under linear operations -- our friend Pythagoras showed that is true several millennia ago. Addition and multiplication are closed under ℝ, so we are good to go. Also, it passes through the origin, 0^2 + 0^2 = 0^2, obviously enough. Therefore, I have is as a subspace existing in three dimensions.

Thank you all for your time,

SY

Physics news on Phys.org
SYoungblood said:

Homework Statement

Let X=ℝ3 and let V={(a,b,c) such that a2+b2=c2}. Is V a subspace of X? If so, what dimensions?

Homework Equations

A vector space V exists over a field F if V is an abelian group under addition, and if for each a ∈ F and v ∈ V, there is an element av ∈ V such that all of the following conditions apply for all a,b ∈F and all u,v ∈V -- a(u + v) = au + av, (a + b)v = av + bv, a(bv)= (ab)v, and 1 × v = v.

The Attempt at a Solution

a2+b2=c2 is abelian under addition because real numbers are commutative under that operation.
This doesn't make any sense. The elements of V are vectors in ##\mathbb{R}^3## of the form <x, y, z> such that ##x^2 + y^2 = z^2##. x, y, and z are all real numbers, it's true.
SYoungblood said:
I believe we would not have to concern ourselves with multiplication because we are not multiplying, and we would not have to concern ourselves with associativity under multiplication for the same reason.
Since the underlying space is ##\mathbb{R}^3##, addition is the usual vector addition, and scalar multiplication is the usual scalar multiplication.
Since V is a subset of ##\mathbb{R}^3## you don't have to verify all of the axioms for a vector space. What you do need to verify is that for vectors in set V,
  • The 0 vector is an element of V
  • V is closed under vector addtion. I.e., if ##u \in V## and ##w \in V## is ##u + w \in V##?
  • V is closed under scalar multiplication. I.el, if ##u \in V## and c is a scalar (a real) is ##cv \in V##?
SYoungblood said:
If we multiply this my the multiplicative identity, we get 1 × (a2+b2=c2)=a2+b2=c2. So, we are good for a vector space.
No, that's not how it works. See above.
SYoungblood said:
V is a subspace of X because it is nonempty, and closed under linear operations -- our friend Pythagoras showed that is true several millennia ago. Addition and multiplication are closed under ℝ, so we are good to go. Also, it passes through the origin, 0^2 + 0^2 = 0^2, obviously enough. Therefore, I have is as a subspace existing in three dimensions.

Thank you all for your time,

SY

Likes SYoungblood
I got it, this and breaking out my old LA text helped. Thank you.

SY

Related to Does V Qualify as a Subspace of ℝ3?

1. What is a subspace of ℝ3?

A subspace of ℝ3 is a subset of the three-dimensional Euclidean space, ℝ3, that satisfies the properties of a vector space. This means that it contains the zero vector, is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and is non-empty.

2. What is the equation a2+b2=c2?

The equation a2+b2=c2 is known as the Pythagorean theorem and is used to calculate the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle. Here, a and b represent the lengths of the two shorter sides, and c represents the length of the hypotenuse. This equation is a fundamental concept in geometry and has many real-world applications.

3. How does the equation a2+b2=c2 relate to a subspace of ℝ3?

In a subspace of ℝ3, the equation a2+b2=c2 represents a subset of points that lie on a circle with radius c. This is because the equation can be rewritten as x2+y2=c2, where x and y are the coordinates of a point in the subspace. Therefore, this equation defines a two-dimensional subspace within the three-dimensional space of ℝ3.

4. What are some examples of subspaces of ℝ3 that follow the equation a2+b2=c2?

Some examples of subspaces of ℝ3 that follow the equation a2+b2=c2 include circles, cylinders, and spheres. These are all three-dimensional shapes that can be defined by the equation a2+b2=c2, where a and b represent the dimensions of the shape and c represents the radius or length of the shape's diagonal.

5. Why is the equation a2+b2=c2 important in studying subspaces of ℝ3?

The equation a2+b2=c2 is important in studying subspaces of ℝ3 because it helps to define and visualize these subspaces. By understanding the relationship between this equation and subspaces, we can better understand the properties and behavior of these three-dimensional spaces. Additionally, the Pythagorean theorem has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics, making it a fundamental concept to grasp in the study of subspaces of ℝ3.